A Tolkien alphabet book for my daughter.

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

A Tolkien alphabet book for my daughter.

Post by BrianGrubbs »

I made this over a year ago, but never got around to posting pictures of it. Since there are so many, I thought the easiest thing to do would be to share this Facebook gallery.

https://www.facebook.com/TheRangersGear ... 6876752648

I wanted a way to start introducing my young children to Tolkien characters before they are ready for me to start reading the books to them. I pulled the pictures from all over, Alan Lee, John Howe, Tolkien himself as well as a few shots from the movies. Then there are some pictures that I have no idea who drew them. It took a long time to find the ones I wanted, but I like the way it turned out, and Molly loves it!

Next time I'm in front of a computer instead of on my phone, I'll post the actual pictures here to make it easier to see.

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
BrianGrubbs

Re: A Tolkien alphabet book for my daughter.

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Resized the pictures to post here!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (173.96 KiB) Viewed 14101 times
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

The inside cover with Luthien dancing
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (129.28 KiB) Viewed 14100 times
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

What a WONDERFUL project! Thanks for sharing! This is fantastic!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that is VERY cool! I'm sure she'll have some wonderful memories of Daddy and storytime with that. What a delightful idea! :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
BrianGrubbs

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Thanks guys! It was a fun project, and she asked me to read it to her every night for about four months in a row. We still pull it down from time to time, and she'll ask me to tell her stories about the different characters. It's such a joy to share something with her that means so much to me.

Yesterday we were hanging out and she said she wanted to listed to Lord of the Rings music. I pulled up YouTube and found a video of all the hobbit music from the movies, with pictures following the hobbits all the way through the trilogy. So as it's going, I'm telling her bits of the story and living through it again. By the end I was choking up, and my wife was just smiling at me. She knew what was going on in my head, and how much sharing this story with my little one meant to me. Molly had no idea I was fighting back tears as she couldn't see my face, she was just absorbed in the story. It was a wonderful moment.

I've had a lot of people ask me (getting back to the book, and away from me crying) to sell this book, which of course I can't do. But if anyone wants to make their own, PM me and I'll email you the Word document file that I made so you can print it out. It would just be a small way for me to give back to this community after all that you guys have done for me.

Brian
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's a heck of an Alphabet. Loved it. Great way to share this with the kiddos.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

BrianGrubbs wrote:Thanks guys! It was a fun project, and she asked me to read it to her every night for about four months in a row. We still pull it down from time to time, and she'll ask me to tell her stories about the different characters. It's such a joy to share something with her that means so much to me.

Yesterday we were hanging out and she said she wanted to listed to Lord of the Rings music. I pulled up YouTube and found a video of all the hobbit music from the movies, with pictures following the hobbits all the way through the trilogy. So as it's going, I'm telling her bits of the story and living through it again. By the end I was choking up, and my wife was just smiling at me. She knew what was going on in my head, and how much sharing this story with my little one meant to me. Molly had no idea I was fighting back tears as she couldn't see my face, she was just absorbed in the story. It was a wonderful moment.

I've had a lot of people ask me (getting back to the book, and away from me crying) to sell this book, which of course I can't do. But if anyone wants to make their own, PM me and I'll email you the Word document file that I made so you can print it out. It would just be a small way for me to give back to this community after all that you guys have done for me.

Brian
I feel like, on some level, this right here is basically why we ALL do this - to live the ideals of these stories, and to share our love of them with others. This is absolutely beautiful! If ever I have children (and that's a BIG if, haha) I hope I can share this with them as you have.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains