"The Bloody Angle"

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Vendor

Re: "The Bloody Angle"

Post by Udwin »

Oh, for Dunedain, yeah, they'd definitely use Tengwar!
(I was just thinking for my purposes, rustic hobbits and barely-literate Northmen who'd be more familiar with Dwarves than Elves, probably wouldn't be labelling their maps with calligraphic script.)
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Udwin wrote:Solid start! Looking forward to seeing it inked!
FWIW, I figured up that from the Last Bridge south to the Hoarwell/Loudwater confluence, it's about 105-110 miles--just for an idea of the scale you're looking at. Maps are funny that way.

Thinking about how to label places on my own ME maps, I would really like to use Angerthas for non-elvish names, and while it would be shiny to translate them, it would be more readable--though not as 'in-universe'--to use those runes that resemble Latin letters, and tweak those that don't.
For example, instead of using the runes that spell TUKLAND, use the runes R-U-U-J-flippedKW-Ä€-HY-superimposed H&I, which look like Tookland using Latin characters.
Too convoluted?
There is a font you can download that I use for many of my events and award scrolls and such in the SCA called Runenglish and there are several versions that supply both upper and lowercase, as well as strait uppercase runeletters. They look very good in my eye, and do exactly what Udwin is suggesting. I like to use it as though I were a Dwarf writing common but my pennmanship was based on my Angerthas upbringing! :mrgreen:

I would love to know how to get my computer to write with Runenglish2 on the forum, I would use it all the time just for color!

http://www.fonts101.com/fonts/view/Celt ... NEnglish_1

http://www.ffonts.net/RUNEnglish-2.font
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Cool!
I would love to know how to get my computer to write with Runenglish2 on the forum, I would use it all the time just for color!
I'm afraid that would require modifications to the forum software itself: the edit window we type in strips out the kind of code required to do that.
For very good reason to: we'd use it for fun, but it would open the forum up to all kinds of attack.

stupid orcs. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:
Ringulf wrote:I would love to know how to get my computer to write with Runenglish2 on the forum, I would use it all the time just for color!
I'm afraid that would require modifications to the forum software itself: the edit window we type in strips out the kind of code required to do that.
For very good reason to: we'd use it for fun, but it would open the forum up to all kinds of attack.

Actually, upon cursory investigation I think we could implement a limited number of web fonts for use on the forum and allow them to be accessed through bbcode.

What would we want? Here's the list I'd go with, with some suggestions on actual fonts where I know them.
  • basic unical/hobbit font (first order light?)
  • tengwar font (what mode is best? Or is that a rabbithole?)
  • english readable tengwar font
  • runic font (Angerthas moria?)
  • english readable runic font (Odinson?)
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Hmmmm... that sounds really cool in theory, but I am concerned that it may have the potential to make the forums into something of an unreadable mess.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I would be happy to be able to just use the Runenglish so that it could be read easily and just look like Dwarven penmanship, writing in common (Waestron). but any of the actual Tolkien fonts could be very interesting when writing certain passages from time to time. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: