Some pics of my gear

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Some pics of my gear

Post by Eric C »

Thought I'd post a few pics of my gear. These were taken a few days ago. Quick explanation on the quivver. It was made from the leg of some torn up jeans. It was supposed to be temporary. But until my leatherworking skills get better, the quivver is on hold. So, questions and comments are welcome.
http://picasaweb.google.com/919ericc/AFewKitPics#
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Gareth
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Some pics of my gear

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

i second that. youre gear looks good. what aboout that sword you are holding?? looks good.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That's a REALLY nice looking longbow! And I certainly agree that the denim quiver is pretty awesome, and certainly serviceable until you get a new one.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks for the compliments. The sword is a Tinkersword. I had him make me something of a combination between Glamdring and Anduril. I didn't like the hilt on Anduril and I wasn't fond of the blade on Glamdring. :roll: I'll try to get some pics and specs on it soon.
Gotta get ready for work (glad to be working for the next 2 weeks!) but I'll post more about the longbow this afternoon.

As for the haversack, in short- yes. That was the way we wore them in civ war reenacting. It pins it down nicely and keeps it out of the way.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I really like your stuff, and that bow! 8) and I think you are being a very frugal Ranger by making your temporary quiver from jeans, I think any Ranger in the field would do the same if he had to.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Okay, I really don't know why I posted this thread in this particular forum. It should have been in the general forum. Must have been tired when I did it.
Anyhoo. the bow is a 68" bamboo bow that I picked up at the Ren Faire in Raleigh last year. It has a 40 pound draw weight at 28".
Thanks for the compliments on the quivver. The one day that I really did use it, it worked pretty well. I didn't get to take pics of the sword yet, but they are coming very soon.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

For 40 lbs, it looks quite beefy! Very nice looking bow. I'd love to see how it feels someday...perhaps at our ever-looming ranger gathering.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Your gear looks great. I really want to see pics of that sword. I agree with the bow and quiver, I had thought about doing somthing similar to that but with a sleeve of a leather jacket if I can find a cheap one at good will.

Also what are those boots?
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

The boots are Tandy Leather's Plainsmans boot pattern. If I were to remake them, there are a few things I would do differently. For one, I would punch smaller holes and stitch the boots together with artificial sinew. Second, I would use the lacing used for the general sewing for the strings instead and do away with that 1/4" boot lace. It can be troublesome to keep tied.
BUT, I have to say that overall, I like them. It is like being barefooted but still having some protection for the soles of you feet. I cross most anything with them except gravel and sharp rocks. I don't do well on those. Considering the problems I am, having on the boot build mentioned in another thread, I could be in these boots for a while.

Greg: I need to get out and see how the bow feels again myself. I haven't shot it since I moved to the new house last July. My archery skills are pretty sad, so I could definitely use the practice.