Beorning's map of upper Wilderland

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Udwin
Amrod Rhandir

Beorning's map of upper Wilderland

Postby Udwin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:37 pm

Show-off time! When I have so many projects simultaneously in the work-in-progress phase, it's a very nice feeling to be able to cross this one off my 2017 To-Do list!
Size: 18x21"; quartered to ride in pack, safely nestled inside my spare wool tunic.
Drawn with waterproof Pigma Micron pens on 110-lb Opalux, stained with strong tea (which gave it some weakened creases, which turned into tears. The larger ones I patched, smaller ones just give character.)
It's based heavily on the large-scale MERP map of Rhovanion, with a bit of tweaking to make things better match Tolkien's actual maps (tertiary sources are alright, but they should always be compared against primaries!!)
For example, the River does NOT make a 45degree southwestern turn north of the Carrock. As a result of this correction, the Gladden naturally needed to be extended as well. I extended some of the woodlines to reflect some expansion by the late Third Age.
As a completely Mannish persona (or at least one with minimal Elvish influence), I went with hybrid Angerthas-as-Latin alphabet lettering, and Common Speech names of features (hence Loudwater instead of Bruinen &c). Following that decision, calling the Great River 'Anduin' would be out of place; I went with 'Longflood'--the Eotheod(mid1800s-early2500s 3A) called it Langflood (UT 3:II), so I slightly 'updated it' for late 3A usage.
(I realize I still need to add a scale and compass points. Really wish we had a definitive location for Rhosgobel; I'd love the map to include it as 'Brownhay', but alas.)
Attachments
Wilderland map_MERF.jpg
Wilderland map_MERF.jpg (246.42 KiB) Viewed 3032 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Boffin, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA
Straelbora
Haeropada

Re: Beorning's map of upper Wilderland

Postby Straelbora » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:49 am

Nice! I've wanted to do something like this for a while.

I have a whole Middle-earth map I did on a piece of leather, using a wood burning tool. I should dig up a photo.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Postby Elleth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:02 am

Oh very cool!

I wonder what sorts of things Aistan might mark on his map... hazardous spots on the river? Hunting camps? Meeting spots for trading parties?
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Postby Greg » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:31 am

Looks awesome. That turned out great...matches your persona and cultural 'feel' very well.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.

Return to “Dunedain Culture”