Falconry - Hawk Naming

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Falconry - Hawk Naming

Post by Greg »

I'd like to get started on this part of the project now so I have more time to work with, as I attempt to get ready for trapping season.

I need a name.

I will be trapping an immature red-tailed hawk. I don't know if I will be acquiring a male or female at this point, so names for either are welcome.

I'm looking for something elvish, dwarvish, or somehow otherworldly, but I have very little knowledge of any of Tolkien's languages, so any and all suggestions are welcome! If you're looking for inspiration:

Juvenile:
Adult:
Last edited by Greg on Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Falconry - Hawk Naming

Post by Willrett »

I cant think of any yet however I asked my daughter (shes 2) and she gave me 3 names the first was eagle and the second was cereal and the third birdie. I don't think they will help much but I thought I would share.
Last edited by Willrett on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Beautiful bird. Can't wait to see pics of yours when you get it. I'll see about coming up with a name or two.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Wind maiden, sky lord, bloody claw, valkyrie, quails bane, crimson claw, death bringer, and flesh tearer are all I could come up with based in the lore of my folk.

Interesting tid bit: in poetic kennings the arm is referred to as "the hawks gallows"

Beautiful birds 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Where are our Elvish/Dwarvish linguists to translate some of those names into one of those languages? I like Wind Maiden for the female and Sky Lord for the male. But then again, it's not my bird. :oops: If I ever get into falconry, then I can use one of those.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

There are many Elvish dictionaries out there, Dragonflame comes to mind:

http://www.jrrvf.com/hisweloke/sindar/df20.html

I think with animals, if you pay attention to them, you can figure out their true name.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Mirimaran wrote: I think with animals, if you pay attention to them, you can figure out their true name.
I can't speak for birds and such, but dogs and cats certainly reveal their true names in a short while.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

This is also true with horses, although sometimes their true names are hidden by the fact you cant repeat them in polite company :lol:
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

Male:

Caranvreg ("Fierce Red"), Caranfaran ("Red Hunter"), or Caranrandir (can I combine that to Carandir?) ("Red Wanderer"). Carsuithon ("Reddish"). Caranion ("Red One"). Carandol ("Red-head").
Sulrochir or Sulrohir ("Wind Rider"), Sulhir ("Windlord").
Faran or Feredir ("Hunter")
Tithaefarason ("Little hunting bird.") Nethaefarason ("Young hunting bird").

Female:

Falathiel ("Huntress") Rhavaniel ("Wild"), Minuialwen ("Dawn"), Narylfiel ("Fire Brand,") Randiriel (Wanderer,) Authiel ("Battle Maiden") Adlanna ("the Ascent",) Mentathiel ("Messenger")
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Eric C wrote:Where are our Elvish/Dwarvish linguists to translate some of those names into one of those languages? I like Wind Maiden for the female and Sky Lord for the male. But then again, it's not my bird. :oops: If I ever get into falconry, then I can use one of those.
Hmm. Wind Maiden would be something like Suliel (Wind Lady would be Sulwen).

Menelhir would be Sky Lord
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg

Post by Greg »

You guys are being extremely helpful!

I think Eric is right; I definitely can't name it until I've had it a week or two to see what its character is like, but I'm quickly developing an excellent list of options, here! I'm REALLY liking several of the names I've seen here; thanks! If you have any more ideas, let me know!@
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Greg, not to hijack but would you mind starting another thread with regards to beginning falconry? I would be in your dedt as this is something that has always interested me, although I dont know if I could commit to a bird of my own, I would love to hear from someone who has. Hawks have always been very special to me, red tails in particular. I love to watch them and its always eerily beautiful to hear them 8)

So as not to completely jump the rails, Wind Song is another name that comes to mind

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Greg

Post by Greg »

My pleasure!

:see thread:
David

Post by David »

Better late than never, eh? You can basically pair any of these prefixes with any of the suffixes, or you could mix some of the prefixes...

Prefixes:
gaer= copper/ruddy red
ruin=fiery red
rafn= wing (which is also the old norse word for Raven)
roval= great wing (eagle)/pinion
arth= lofty
hir= master/lord
ar= king
aew= bird
rui= hunt(ing)
sul= wind
ris= queen
elleth= maiden
maeg= piercing
hen(t)= eye(s)

male suffixes:
-ion
-ben
-anu

female suffixes:
-iel
-wen
-inu

Now mix & match!
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
David

Post by David »

I personally like Ruinion, Rovalion, & Gaeroval for male & Ruiniel, Barelleth, & Aewen for female so far. Although some dwarven names would sound cool for a male red-tail. Here's some ideas:

Arnbroðir/Ornbroðir= eagle brother
Bergbua= mountain/cliff dweller
Rikvald= mighty ruler
Balldyr= dangerous beast

P.S: ð is pronounced like th, as in this or that.
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40