feedback on leather stamps? (design elements of Eriador)

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Echadron

Re: feedback on leather stamps? (design elements of Eriador)

Post by Echadron »

Echadron wrote: An arbor press might work really well. They tend to be on the order of 1/2-1 ton, but the way they work you can just turn the wheel lightly to apply less than the full force.
I did a little research, and found out that this is done by quite a few leather crafters, and works quite well. It is good for snaps, rivets and grommets as well, though those aren't as useful for MERF stuff.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

regarding an embossed wheel - that's a cool idea! I've thought about it, but the shapeways process won't give me clean lines all the way around unless I do it in something cast like bronze. Might be worth a try though, at least for a smaller size design. :)

I use a small arbor press, and I'd imagine a sturdily built drill press could do the same job. I wonder a bit about whether all the bearings all up inside there are sturdy enough to do so repeatedly without damage though - I've no idea.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Elwindil
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elwindil »

I wasn't sure if it would be doable for some of the more intricate designs that you posted or not...since it's a thing I'm not all that familiar with. I'm slowly going to be teaching myself how to do all the leatherworking I'll need by trial and error...most likely lots of error. *laughs* but that's how you learn.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Has anyone tried attaching the stamp to a drill press. I'm wondering if you'd get a clearer, cleaner stamp than by using a mallet.
I tryed it today at work and it seemed to be effective although you can't get as much force as with an arbour press. I made some simple stamps from round bar and clamped them in the chuck, which works and gives you even pressure every time, providing the leather stamp bar is bottomed out so it's solid. I got some funny look from fellow engineers :P
I wonder a bit about whether all the bearings all up inside there are sturdy enough to do so repeatedly without damage though - I've no idea.
They should be, all the bearings inside a decent drill press should be able to take a large amount of force.

Hope this information is helpfull
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks for experimenting. I'll give it a try sometime.