Cultural Trinkets/Accents/Accessories

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Cultural Trinkets/Accents/Accessories

Post by Manveruon »

So I know we've kind of covered this topic before here and there, but I thought I'd start a dedicated thread to talk more specifically about it if anyone is interested. Also, wasn't sure whether to put this in Hard-Kit, Soft-Kit, or here, since it sort of applies to all three, so if the mods want to move it please feel free.

Anyway, I think we can all agree that we've come a long way, as a community, from the early days of purely-practical (and perhaps, if we're being honest, somewhat boring) impressions. No offense meant to anyone of course - that was an excellent place to start, and served as a solid foundation for everything we've done since. But since the early days of the forum and the beginning of the whole "Middle-earth Reenactment" thing, one of my favorite ways we have grown is in the addition of various cultural artifacts to our kits and personas. This really brings the hobby to life for me - the little details and accessories that speak volumes about the culture we're portraying, beyond the plainly practical and utilitarian. Lately I've seen more and more cultural nuance start to blossom in peoples' kits (I think most notably Elleth's, but there are certainly other great examples), and I wanted to discuss that a little. What sorts of cultural trinkets to you include with your kit and garb, and why? What little accents make your costume more culturally authentic in your eyes? Anything from decorative motifs on garb and gear, to jewelry, to... well, anything else you can think of.
Last edited by Manveruon on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Cultural Trinkets/Accents/Accessories

Post by Iodo »

I don't think I have much in the way of this so far, but I do have one thing, the tooling paturn on my belt is partly based on one from the WETA books and partly my own, it containes a regular reocuring triangle that you can just see on the right of the photo but in my mind is meant to represent the lonely mountain
IMG_20171113_215557.JPG
IMG_20171113_215557.JPG (81.72 KiB) Viewed 19416 times
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Excellent topic to get a dedicated thread!

My 'main' persona, the Beorning, has been slowly getting more decorated over the last year or so. Currently planning on a new twill wool loincloth that will have some embroidered panels. For some of the motifs I've come up with to decorate that persona's gear, see Edge of the Wild V2:I2.

I went to an event this fall with two specific purposes: talk to Jon Townsend about MERS, and find some hobbit 'pocket trash'.
Both goals successfully checked off; I provided the manpower to turn a greatwheel lathe and had a turner make me a small wooden top to entertain myself and/or younglings, and I found a tinsmith who tooled me a shrill copper whistle before my eyes. Still need to decorate that one. (Naturally, both are at my other place currently, but I will put up a pic when I am able). I thought these were good hobbit trinkets: we have reference to a 'humming-top', know that Bucklanders used audio signals to communicate, and even orcs had whistle technology.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Mine have largely been posted already, but to sum it up, I've added Numenorean "Rug" embroidery on my quiver, tooling on my belt, and some custom Elleth buckles to mentally place the hard kit. I'm using earlier-medieval buckles on my sword harness in contrast to the "trendy" quiver buckles on the assumption that, though quivers can be made and seem fairly disposable, swords and blades seem to be passed down and kept in the text for long periods, which might result in an older style buckle, etc.

My most significant nod would be the custom Meuleurgy by knife, which was strictly made from the specific descriptions of Westernesse-made blades found in the Barrows.

I've also taken some time to blend common-folk "mental image" of the Ranger idea with book descriptions/kit references...not to sacrifice authenticity, but rather to be instantly recognizable in a public setting. If a Breelander can see someone from across the Inn and know them as a Ranger, I would very much prefer that a faire-goer say "He's a Ranger" than force my hand with "So...you're Robin Hood or something?" In character, I shouldn't be saying "I'm a Ranger"...it's not a compliment. But saying "I am a descendant of Numenor tasked with patrolling the fallen north kingdom" isn't right either. In short, I'm working on ways to be seen for what I am even by folks who don't have a clue what a Numenorean carpet looks like, as well as character-appropriate ways to field questions.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I love this thread!

Here's an "Aistan-style" collage, with a couple placeholders for things still under wraps. :)
Gosh... do a little bit every day and it all adds up after a couple years!
dunedain-design-elements.jpg
dunedain-design-elements.jpg (68.17 KiB) Viewed 18681 times
(Thanks to Greg, Ursus, Taurinor, and everyone else who's traded their talents! )

I'm quite happy how we're progressing on that "Dúnedain design language" we were batting around a couple years ago. I think it's really starting to come together!

Regarding trinkets and personal items... I've got some jewelry underway, but really need to think more about "pocket litter."
think think think... :)

Edited to update collage.
Last edited by Elleth on Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Udwin wrote:Both goals successfully checked off; I provided the manpower to turn a greatwheel lathe and had a turner make me a small wooden top to entertain myself and/or younglings, and I found a tinsmith who tooled me a shrill copper whistle before my eyes. Still need to decorate that one.
As promised:
Attachments
hobbitpockettrash.jpg
hobbitpockettrash.jpg (102.22 KiB) Viewed 19187 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Greg

Post by Greg »

That whistle is AWESOME.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I know, right? _One Dollar._ Feller was a machinist and made up a brilliant little jig to crank them out. (He also offered them in tin.) Come to Oueatenon with me next fall, and you can pick up your own!
Attachments
TreatyCreekTinsmith Oct0117.jpg
TreatyCreekTinsmith Oct0117.jpg (221.71 KiB) Viewed 19167 times
Greg

Post by Greg »

That jig is genius. A bending fork on crack.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh! Is that what that is? How clever!

I really love the top. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I love everything about this thread, and I'm very sad I keep neglecting it! Hopefully someday soon I will have time to post a proper response... BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY! :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains