Gullinbursti did a Dunedain Star

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Gullinbursti did a Dunedain Star

Post by caedmon »

-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Gullinbursti did a Dunedain Star

Post by Elleth »

Oh that's lovely!
Naturally our own designs are more to my taste, but I love his approach. The incomplete accent lines in the rays really set it out, as do the manually peened pins on the border. Do you know what stone he used, and why?

... I do wish he'd come back around sometime. His voice - and talent - were great to have here. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Kortoso
Haeropada

Post by Kortoso »

It almost looks as if he incised the lines in the metal, rather than casting it.
There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Elleth wrote:Oh that's lovely!
Naturally our own designs are more to my taste, but I love his approach. The incomplete accent lines in the rays really set it out, as do the manually peened pins on the border. Do you know what stone he used, and why?

... I do wish he'd come back around sometime. His voice - and talent - were great to have here. :mrgreen:

Yes I agree, love to have him back.

Yes, I do agree, it feels more rustic than the ones we've done, but I think there's a place for that.

I believe he used a garnet, because it seems to be his go-to stone.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Kortoso wrote:It almost looks as if he incised the lines in the metal, rather than casting it.

Yes, on the Instagram post he notes that he engraved it.
-Jack Horner

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That's amazing :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

He really did do a fantastic job on that, but I agree, our own interpretations are more accurate to the description.
J.R.R. Tolkien, in the Return of the King wrote:"A little apart the Rangers sat, silent, in an ordered company, armed with spear and bow and sword. They were clad in cloaks of dark grey.... [They did not] bear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star."
A brooch engraved with a rayed star his might be, but at ten feet (ish) I would expect from the quote that an actual Dunedain star would be star-shaped at its outermost edges, and clearly discernible as such, even at distances where metalworking details are blurred.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Gulli
Dúnadan

Post by Gulli »

Hello Fellow Wanderers!
I am very glad that you like the brooch i made! As for a fair criticism that it is not authentic i have a lot to say. My approach is artistic, not literalist and i tend to fulfill the grey areas of the Middle earth with my knowledge of the text and my fantasy. I also think that Dunedain culture is long living and rich so to expect that all starbrooched ever made were the same might be a little shortsighted. My Middle Earth is approched from marginalia :-)
dunedain1.jpg
dunedain1.jpg (126.05 KiB) Viewed 20647 times
dunedain.jpg
dunedain.jpg (101.03 KiB) Viewed 20647 times
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

It's a wonderful work of art and the pictures you posted are stunning.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Gulli! It's so good to have you back!

That is absolutely fantastic work! I love it - and as Peter notes - your photography as well.

As to the star itself I quite agree that simply because it doesn't quite match the description of those worn by the Grey Company we needn't assume someone in Eriador hadn't crafted it at some time. The hand-worked feel is just fantastic.

Lovely lovely work. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Gulli
Dúnadan

Post by Gulli »

speaking of pictures, i want to start photo project featuring my middlearth work, here is one
adventure.jpg
adventure.jpg (127.52 KiB) Viewed 20617 times
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Very impressed, I espeshaly like the smaller knife :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.