The Hobbit - 2012

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

The Hobbit - 2012

Post by Greg »

SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT READ ON UNLESS YOU DON'T MIND DISCUSSIONS RELATED TO MOVIES THAT HAVE NOT YET COME OUT!

Alrighty. I've been doing my research to keep up with the happenings about the upcoming films, and thought we could use a thread where we post updates for those who want to keep up with said hapenings.

As of yet, the current cast list looks like this:

Ron Pearlman - Thorin
Ian McKellen - Gandalf
Hugo Weaving - Elrond
Doug Jones - Unknown
Andy Serkis - Gollum

IMDB's current favorite little tidbit about the film is as follows:
"The Hobbit" is taken from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel of the same title and is planned to be made into two-part movies. The movies will re-create the scenes of the novel, with additional events that make an impact to "The Lords of the Rings", such as the expulsion of Sauron from Mirkwood by The White Council. The first of the adventure fantasy movie is scheduled for December 2011 U.S. release, while "The Hobbit 2" is expected to hit theaters a year later.

So there are going to be two films, and somewhere in there, we may get to see Sauron outside his armor. Awesome.

There has also been some talk about seeing Viggo as Aragorn at some point in the films, but it's uncertain yet.

Please feel free to post any production photos, hearsay (please make sure you label it as hearsay, and not fact), and other information you find here, to keep those of us who are addicted to pre-production tidbits well-fed.
Last edited by Greg on Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Sam
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: The Hobbit - 2011 & 2012

Post by Sam »

Thanks for posting this Greg. I'm very interested in info on these films. I can see that the director is giving preference to Actors he has worked with before. I hope this is not to the detriment of the film.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yeah...I was a little worried, but then I thought about Hellboy's voice, and decided that, at least vocally, he'll make a very nice sounding Thorin. The incumbent characters, like Gandalf and Gollum (with that possibility of Aragorn as well) I have no worries about...they're just gonna be awesome to see in action again!

My biggest fear AND hope is that in the second film, they do a non-independent version of the Hunt for Gollum, which would be when Aragorn's role is reprised. It's a fear because the Hunt for Gollum crews put so much time, money, and effort into the film that it'd be a shame for it to be overshadowed. At the same time, I'd LOVE to see that storyline done with McKellen, Mortensen, and Serkis.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Greg wrote: My biggest fear AND hope is that in the second film, they do a non-independent version of the Hunt for Gollum, which would be when Aragorn's role is reprised. It's a fear because the Hunt for Gollum crews put so much time, money, and effort into the film that it'd be a shame for it to be overshadowed. At the same time, I'd LOVE to see that storyline done with McKellen, Mortensen, and Serkis.
My guess and hope is that they cover the white council and the battle with Sauron in Mirkwood. That would set us up for the former movies nicely as it covers his reemergence of the dark lord and the turning of Saruman.
Winter is coming
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I think some nice dvd extras would be HFG and BOH.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I understand that they will be going into the Dark Lord's background, which means we will see some of the Sil as well, the Fall of Gondolin, Morgoth, maybe ARMIES of Balrogs, eagerly awaiting these two films! And I agree with Willrett, BoH and THfG wold make great extras!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

"The Sun newspaper, a major tabloid here in the UK is today running a story that claims Tobey Maguire of Spiderman fame is to play the Bilbo Baggins role in The Hobbit."
-http://the-hobbit-movie.com/2010/01/18/ ... o-baggins/

We can only hope he doesn't screw this up.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:"The Sun newspaper, a major tabloid here in the UK is today running a story that claims Tobey Maguire of Spiderman fame is to play the Bilbo Baggins role in The Hobbit."
-http://the-hobbit-movie.com/2010/01/18/ ... o-baggins/

We can only hope he doesn't screw this up.
"Gandalf, Orcs must be nearby, my hobbit-sense is tingling"
Greg

Post by Greg »

WHAT DO YOU THINK STING IS GOING TO BE?!?! GAH! Hobbit-sense indeed! "My orc sense is glowing!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I hope these are just crazy rumors that don't happen.
Faolan

Post by Faolan »

"Director Guillermo Del Toro has confirmed upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit has been put on hold indefinitely because the movie has been caught in a 'tangled negotiation' over the future of the MGM movie studio. The film, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's first book in the fantasy series, was reportedly due to begin shooting this summer, but has been mired in delays. Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, who will act as producer on the new film, recently dismissed rumors of trouble with the picture, insisting, 'It's not really been delayed, because we've never announced the date"
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I can live with Pearlman. Could be worse. I had trouble at first with Weaving as Elrond (You hear that Mr. Baggins?... That is the sound of inevitability... It is the sound of your death... Goodbye, Mr. Baggins... )

I enjoyed McKellin as Gandalf, but I always heard a John Houston voice over. For me, that is still the perfect voice of Gandalf. Like who else could do Darth Vader except James Earl Jones. Also, probably won't be a better voice for Smaug that Richard Boone.

Final note: BTW the voice Bilbo in the Rankin-Bass version is Orson Bean, who currently plays Roy on "Desperate Housewives."
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Brendan Olszowy
Wayfarer

Post by Brendan Olszowy »

Faolan wrote:"Director Guillermo Del Toro has confirmed upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit has been put on hold indefinitely because the movie has been caught in a 'tangled negotiation' over the future of the MGM movie studio. The film, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's first book in the fantasy series, was reportedly due to begin shooting this summer, but has been mired in delays. Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson, who will act as producer on the new film, recently dismissed rumors of trouble with the picture, insisting, 'It's not really been delayed, because we've never announced the date"
That is not what we wanted to hear. Spew...
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

It gets worse.....Del Toro has left The Hobbit

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45299

Friggin' MGM....
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"