Searching for Women's Faire Clothing

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Searching for Women's Faire Clothing

Post by Greg »

Greetings, gents!

My present locale of Vacaville has an annual Medieval Fantasy Festival, coming up in April (which, incidentally, was started to celebrate Tolkien!)

I, of course, am going, and will be a fully kitted Ranger. I know, big surprise.

Lori is coming as well. This is going to be her first time really dressing up for a period event. She has no idea what to wear, really, so I'm taking care of that. She's going to wear one of my cloaks (a nicer, lined one, that is) and I'm getting her a simple white dress/skirt of some sort. The only thing missing, really, is a vest/bodice of some sort, and before resorting to ebay, I figured I'd ask and see if any of you faire-goers had anything lying around you were looking to get rid of. I'd like to avoid bright colors if at all possible. Basically, just something that'll look good with the cloak, which is a greyish-green (ie. Black, Grey, Brown, Tan, Green, etc.) If not, I'm sure ebay will provide. If you've got something, feel free to drop me a line here, and we'll see what we can do. Also, if you don't have something but you can point me to a place where I can get them cheap, feel free to post any helpful links here as well. Thanks!
Last edited by Greg on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Searching for Women's Faire Clothing

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg: How about an approximate size?
Greg

Post by Greg »

Dress size = 7-8
Bodice measurements not for public knowledge... ;)
If you've got something bigger that you're trying to get rid of, I could probably alter it, so no worries there.
Last edited by Greg on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:Greetings, gents!

My present locale of Vacaville has an annual Medieval Fantasy Festival, coming up in April (which, incidentally, was started to celebrate Tolkien!)

I, of course, am going, and will be a fully kitted Ranger. I know, big surprise.

Lori is coming as well. This is going to be her first time really dressing up for a period event.

Thank goodness! Greg, you had me scared there for a minute. :lol:

Okay, with that settled, I'm hoping we can build up our store of extra faire gear some day soon too. At the present, I'm thinking new tunics and shirts for the boy and me. Not sure what to do for the ladies yet. The daughter is rather fond of Eowyn after we read about her in TTT and ROTK. The wife? Don't know if we are going for a ranger, or an elf. Still a few things to hammer out.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well depending on your budget and just how accurate you want to get as far as accuracy is concerned here's my suggestions.

For accurate clothing off the shelf I'd go with these...........

http://www.revivalclothing.com/index.asp

http://www.historicenterprises.com/

For a lower level of accuracy for most of their off the shelf stuff, but with the ability to customize to your liking, here's a good one..........

http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/

And if your budgets tight there's always good 'ole MRL..........

https://www.museumreplicas.com/default.aspx

There you go!
Winter is coming
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Poor MRL...so much of their stuff is polyester or "dry clean only" now, you can make it yourself better. Can you gf sew, Greg? There are some patterns out there for corsets and the like, she might be able to make one, plus you live in Wench Country, I am sure there is a chapter of the Wenches Guild out there who can help you out. Of course, there is the danger your gf might become addicted to faire...lol
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

We ARE in wench country. 'Tis dangerous, let me tell you...

I *think* I've got this figured out. I've found something that's gonna work. To answer your question, ken, she's learning to Sew, but there really isn't enough time with her schedule as busy as it is to pull something together with this short of notice.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! And, as per the usual, we'll take tons of pics at the festival for your viewing pleasure!
Last edited by Greg on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Alright, we're squared away. In addition to the dress in the following photo, she's going to be wearing an old green cloak I've got lying around that she's pretty much claimed as hers (microfiber with a satin lining...pretty fancy schmancy).

Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Um . . . Dude. I don't know how to say this. But either Lori's invisible or she ain't got no head. :P :lol:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Oh...shoot! Didn't I tell y'all I'm marrying a shape-shifter? Getting her measurements was a PAIN, let me tell you...kept going from woman to tree to different kind of tree...*sigh*
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Greg wrote:Oh...shoot! Didn't I tell y'all I'm marrying a shape-shifter? Getting her measurements was a PAIN, let me tell you...kept going from woman to tree to different kind of tree...*sigh*
It'll keep life interesting, that's for sure! (Greg that's the only thing I could say that wouldn't get me thrown out in the rain tonight! Not fair! :lol: )
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great outfit, Greg! Be sure to take lots of pics!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

We took a few pictures today at the Festival, but we completely forgot to take pictures of ourselves, so I made Lori promise me she'd get dressed up again later this week so we can show you all how it turned out.

The Festival was fun, but it left a little bit of something to be desired. After having been to countless Scottish Games' and the Los Angeles Renaissance Faire, it was rather small, and we ran out of things to do kind-of quickly. But we had a good time nevertheless, and entertained numerous compliments on our clothing. One kid asked me if I got my chain maille "here", and got extremely wide-eyed when I replied "I made it myself."
Last edited by Greg on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Greg wrote:We took a few pictures today at the Festival, but we completely forgot to take pictures of ourselves, so I made Lori promise me she'd get dressed up again later this week so we can show you all how it turned out.
I bet we are the real reason :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you direct any new friends here??
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"