You want Dunedain Culture? There's a movie coming out.

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

David
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: You want Dunedain Culture? There's a movie coming out.

Post by David »

Born of Hope was AWESOME! Too bad my interwebs cut out twice... anyway, I give it two thumbs up! =)
You will live by the sword and you will serve your brother. -Genesis 27:40
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I almost forgot! Congratulations, and well done, to Ken! The poem that the storyteller was reciting to the children, I do believe, was written by him. The filmmakers were lucky! They got input from a real-life Dunedain Ranger for part of their storyline! The film just wouldn't have been the same without that clip, Ken. A very nice poem, it was!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well, thank you Greg for the kind words, and I am glad you liked the scene! Kate has been on the Ranger Yahoo group for a couple of years now and she asked for a poem that might mirror Halbarad's fate at the gates of Minas Tirith. You might recall in the film he is with young Aragorn and has a banner, so the poem read by the storyteller is called, "The Banner". I tried to weave in as much Dunedain history as possible. Here it is in it's entirety...

The Banner

Seven stars and a crown on a field of blue
in the winds of war that banner flew
around the King it called Men forth
to fight for all they were worth.

'Fornost has fallen!' the herald cried
as the Dunedain fought and died
Men noble and brave fell from their steeds
trampled by beasts that gave no heed.

The King was carried from the fray
as the army of Angmar made it's way
our Banner caught in a sea of death
the King's Herald drew a last breath

The banner toppled and fell to earth
the Enemy howled in terrible mirth
as Men ran in fear and cried,
"Alas, alas, hope has died!"

But as the banner came crashing down
to fall upon the blood soaked ground
ran a boy to the field
no sword or axe did he wield

No armor or shield did he carry
he did not slow or tarry
but ran he to the fallen banner
taking it and raising it to it's rightful manner

he stood alone upon that field
nothing would he yield
"For Arnor!" he cried and stood his ground
as Angmar came crasing down

And he held that banner high
as he uttered his last cry
"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"
From his hands the banner could not be torn.

Men roared and Orcs knew fear
as they knew their doom was near
for those last words the boy cried
stayed with them until they died.

Arnor rose for the last time that day
as boy and banner made their way
to Rivendell and there both found a home
the banner on high and the boy in a tomb...
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Happy to say that by month's end I'll be in the 21st century. I'll have a high speed internet connection. The modem is already on the way. I'm excited! I'll get to watch all these cool videos that everybody posts. AND I'll get to see Born of Hope and Hunt for Gollem.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That was OUTSTANDING!!! My small clan crowded around the computer screen and watched it. It is an impressive work. It inspires me to work harder to become (if you will) Dunedain. To stand when it seems hopeless. To strive for greatness while walking in humble service.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Yah for Eric and clan! I am so glad you got to see it! Indeed it is very inspiring and a worthy companion to The Lord of the Rings.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Heather
Wayfarer

Re:

Post by Heather »

mcapanelli wrote:I sat and and watch the film and I have to say it was throughly enjoyable. COnsidering the budget they had to work with and the everything else it came together great and I'd watch it again. In fact that's just what I did. If nothing else it really lit a fire under me arse to get me story outline done for my own fan film. So anybody wanna visit middle earth?
Hm.... at least we're on the same coast.... it has possibilities... although I'm kinda short to be a ranger :lol:
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Re:

Post by Eric C »

[quote="Heather Hm.... at least we're on the same coast.... it has possibilities... although I'm kinda short to be a ranger :lol:[/quote]

Heh, technically, at (questionable) 5'7" so am I. I also have blue eyes as opposed to the gray or dark eyes of Rangers. Still thinking of an explanation for it all. A friend of mine who is a member here, but hasn't been around in a while is considering a fan film himself. I'm trying to talk him back onto the site.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Oh I dunno Eric. Remember the three Houses of the Edain that made up the peoples of Numenor.

Beor, Haleth, and Haldor? They all lived on Numenor and intermingled. Nothing specifically says *all* of the Dunedain of the North were grey-eyed and dark haired. There could have been throwbacks to any of the three Houses.

Those of Bëor; "Most of the Folk of Bëor had brown hair with grey eyes, and some of them were swarthy in skin. They were taller than the Folk of Haleth, but still less in height than the House of Hador. The Bëorians were "steadfast in endurance of hardship and sorrow, slow to tears and to laughter; their fortitude needed no hope to sustain it."

Those of Haleth; "Were dark-haired and dark-eyed, resembling those of Bëor but shorter and broader, sterner and less swift. They were less eager for lore, and used few words; for they did not love great concourse of men, and many among them delighted in solitude, wandering free in the greenwoods".

Those of Hador; "For the most part they were tall people, with flaxen or golden hair and blue-grey eyes, but there were not a few among them that had dark hair, though all were fair-skinned." The People of Marach were "quick to wrath and laughter, fierce in battle, generous to friend and to foe, swift in resolve, fast in loyalty, joyous in heart, the children of Ilúvatar in the youth of Mankind."

The majority of all three Houses lived on Numenor.

I rather think you could be a Ranger easily enough.

I love this bit: Haleth is described as "a renowned amazon with a picked bodyguard of women". (Tolkien, J. R. R. (1996), Christopher Tolkien, ed., The Peoples of Middle-earth

Findesilmë
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Good points Siani. See Heather, you COULD have Dunedain blood in you yet.
Sam

Post by Sam »

It is clear now that I am a distinct throwback to the line of Hador. That pretty much describes me perfectly, except for my eyes which change from green-yellow to grey-green. Those who know me could attest to the character qualities as well I am sure.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Well Sam, That sure beats my orc blood.

:lol:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I always pictured you as sitting in front of the gates of Edoras clothed in Burlap holding out a hat for donations, with a flask of some gagging draught in the other...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Greg wrote:I always pictured you as sitting in front of the gates of Edoras clothed in Burlap holding out a hat for donations, with a flask of some gagging draught in the other...
Burlap ? We're in a recession!
Elegost

Post by Elegost »

I personally loved both Born of Hope and The Hunt for Gollum. A few things that did disapoint me was both producers went down the same old Peter Jackson themed movie, the music was basicly a pure copy of Peter's. Some say thats good, but I myself think it lacks origanality.

Kate Madison spent £2500 on this movie but didn't really put in anything we havn't seen before: romance, had it all before in PJs lotr, Dramtic battles, had it all before, nothing new and unexsplored, she didn't tread upon new ground, Yes the story was different but it still lacked her mark as a flim maker, which I think is what making a fan film is all about, going somewhere new, doing somthing that is different, making your mark upon the film.

I also didn't like some of the acting, now I'm no actor but when Gilraen interupted her father and interupted Arathorn I was like, hang on isn't that a bit rude?! Considering the peiod of the film she would treat her father and Arathorn (as she knew who he was) with great respect.

Everyone else I think did a brilliant job and really acted well! The whole Idea of Kate playing as Elgrain I throught was good, but it was a bit, I don't know it just didn't work for me, She seemed to be tring to act if you know what I mean, where as Dihirrborn for instance really got into his charactor, but hey thats my opinion

It was still a very good film and I have watched 5 times now. The above are just a few little niggles I had with it