You want Dunedain Culture? There's a movie coming out.

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

Count me in Mike, it will give a impetus to get my own gear done. I donated money towards this movie and it was money well spent!
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I'll start a separate thread in a day or two but I have to tell you my friends production company was sold on my plot outline. I have two friends that compose music for commercials that will donate the soundtrack, and studio time to record all of it. My aunt is also an acting agent so she'll be able to place the film once it's released and also help in the casting from her talent pool. This may really happen so keep your fingers crossed!
Winter is coming
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Hunt for Gollum was a pleasant watch. I really enjoyed it! Best day in the computer lab of the teen center I work at here in town ever.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

Count me in ill do anything I can to help.
Greg

Post by Greg »

After a second watching through of TH4G, I have some thoughts on things I personally think they did incorrectly, from a Ranger's perspective. This is in no way intended to bash them, because they did a GREAT job with a film. These are merely observations.

For starters, no ranger should EVER be sprinting tree to tree. That's just BEGGING to be found.

Secondly, why did Aragorn flip up his hood when he knew he was no longer alone? That's the LAST thing you want to do. Hoods are GREAT for camouflaging the face, but ONLY when you can SEE your enemy. If you can't see them, hoods aren't so good an idea, because they restrict your hearing. You only hear things directionally to the front; the sides and behind you become muffled, which makes even locating game you are hunting more difficult, much less people who are trying to be secretive.

Then, of course, we have Aragorn's decision to sleep outside in plain sight. Not a good idea. These things are probably obvious to everyone, except perhaps the hearing issue with a hood, which might not be aparrent to everyone. Loved the film; they just came up short on a few things in my book.
Willrett

Re: You want Dunedain Culture? There's a movie coming out.

Post by Willrett »

The hood thing could have been just a camo thing, if he flipped it up and stopped moving he would see and hear less but he would be harder to see if he was standing still. I don't really know I haven't watched it yet.
Chris Russo

Re:

Post by Chris Russo »

I thought the same as you regarding the hood--it helps with camo, but it's so limiting in terms of sensory data. I wonder if a pair of dark bandannas would not be better. (One around the head, the other across the face.)

I did love the portrayal of Aragorn as a master of STEALTH. Taking out the one orc before the other'd seen him...
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Enjoyed watching and "well done" to all involved.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

Here's the latest trailer for Halifirien :
Lord of the Rings: Halifirien Trailer 2009
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow I know I'm alittle late to the party but I just watched HFG and was great. My only complaint was my pc for some reason was jumping or I wasn't getting a good connection.

My review for what its worth 5 swords out of 5.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Just a quick update for Born of Hope http://www.bornofhope.com Kate Madison, the writer/director/actor/producer of the film posted on the Yahoo group today to confirm the worldwide release of the film on the web as December 1st, and that there will be podcast and youtube postings concerning the production as well. Also, I am greatly honored that one of my poems is featured in the film 8) alot of folks devoted time, materials, money and talent to make this fan film a reality. I encourage all Rangers to download it on the 1st and add it to your collection of all things Tolkien.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I just want to remind everyone that Born of Hope, the story of Arathorn and Gilraen, parents of Aragorn, premieres on Dec. 1st on Dailymotion! It's free to download so please have a look at the film. A lot of hard work went into the production, and remember, no one was paid for any of their work, it's all volunteer, for fans by fans.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/JRR-Tolki ... l?x=0&.v=1

http://www.dailymotion.com/bornofhope
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

I just finished watching Born of Hope (and The Hunt for Gollum again, while we were at it). We connected my computer to Lori's family's big flatscreen tv to watch it, and I was blown away. It was incredibly well done, the acting was, as a whole, extremely well done, and the costumes and props were, naturally, extremely well done.

For those of you who have watched it so far, recall when, at the beginning of the final battle scene, Arathorn calls "Rangers, to me!" I got chills. I wanted to answer that call. I wanted to sound my horn, and jump through the screen with my sword out. I feel immensely proud to call myself a Ranger today. They captured the brotherhood and pride of the Dunedain and the house of Elendil, and actually kicked my emotions into gear. I felt patriotic to a nation and a people that only exist in our minds and on the pages of Tolkien's books, yet I felt like I belonged.

Wow.

Other aspects of the film I particularly liked were the fact that, since this was kitted out mostly by reenactors, there were Horsebows as well as longbows seen in the film, and even a Kukri at one point! I was also very encouraged and excited by the use of furs for warmth. I've been working on a deerhide mantle for sometime, and lo and behold, Arathorn wears one made out of (I believe) Wolfskins or similar furs several times during the movie. It looked just as awesome and comfy (perhaps moreso) than I have been hoping, so I'm anxious to get it finished and test it out. Most of the swords in the film were longswords...there weren't too many one-handers carried by the rangers, but that's okay. Hollywood's loyal patrons love long swords, so we can't fault them for that, I guess. Quite a bit of weilding two-handers with a single hand, though...kinda awkward.
Last edited by Greg on Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I am off friday, and at home with the little one so I will watch it then and after reading that I cant wait!!!
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

It'll probably take me quite a while to download it since no one has seen fit to run high speed internet service out here. But I'll download it and watch it soon.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.