Kit musings

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Kit musings

Post by caedmon »

Of late I have been watching Upstairs Downstairs, a BBC series from the 70's that chronicles British life from 1904ish to 1929. I was flabbergasted when I started to do the numbers and found that with salary, room , & board of a married couple (both working) in the show was only making the equivalent of $8000/yr.

I have been thinking about this and the equivalent wealth of the average Dunedain. It's a hard thing to figure, ,What I am sure of is that the average Dunedain family would have lived on much less yearly income than I. Probably around the tune of $20,000/yr. (Much less once expensive necessities like weapons & armour are subtracted.)

So what does this mean for a Dundedain reenactment kit? Well, for one, your 'go kit' is going to comprise probably most all of your personal posessions (as opposed to family assets- horse, cattle, campaign armour) And those personal possesions are going to be precious.

That copper boiler had to be made by hand and is not easily replaced. a $40-80 pot would be worth more like $300 in ME equivalent currency. And when you go a wandering, your family doesn't have access to it.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Things a ranger or even mercenary would travel with, like blankets and pots would probably be older family items that have been replaced or updated with newer.

Once these items become worn or damaged they would receive new life as something different. Old blankets could become groundclothes, or cut up and made into backpacks, patches, scarves for cold weather, gloves, mittens, even hats, bandages and cleaning rags. Old copper pots can be hand formed into arrowheads, bits of decorations for handaxes or supplimental pieces of armor for shields, or spoons to eat with. The same with any leather harness for animals or people. Most of these are well within the ability of the average Joe today, let alone a subsistance level society.

While the initial cost of an item will be higher than an equivalent ( in todays' economy) the material will have a much longer useable life than today's average purchase.

If you were just doing border patrol, you'd be supplementing your food supply by foraging. Animal hides, bones and meat salted and sold or traded would also supplement your income or at least help settle your beer tab at the Prancing Pony.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Peter Remling wrote: Animal hides, bones and meat salted and sold or traded would also supplement your income or at least help settle your beer tab at the Prancing Pony.
You don't know the tab I could run up at the prancing pony do you? :P Anyway I tend to think that things like pots and anything metal could just be from recycled materials. A Viking seax was most of the time made from a broken sword blade. And with them doing their own smithing (Their ability to smith is an assumption based on their contact and closeness with the elves). The cost would be way less then if they had to trade for it. The raw materials would be within their grasp weather it be stock removal or smelting. Also being hunters I think it safe to assume they knew tanning as well as the preservation of meats and fish.
Winter is coming
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Kit musings

Post by dwayne davis »

I think being rangers, most of their kit would be hand made by them to start with. yes probably recycling older items ie: a sword blade ground down or forged into a scramsax blade. using tanned hides fron their kills for leather work. in my veiw we could liken the northern rangers ( probably southern too) to the mountain man in allott of respects. besides think of the feilling of security in the wilds knowing that you made the gear you are using, and that if nessacary you can replace it or repair it in the wild as well ( with in reason) .
Last edited by dwayne davis on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I think that a Ranger of the North would have been the most self sufficient person in Middle-earth, probably taught from a young age that if you can't make or fix it, chances are you will not have it. I have always viewed 'The Lord of the Rings' in part a post-apocalyptic story because you have the Dunedain of the North, the last vestiges of a lost kingdom, living in the ruins of their once proud homeland. Too few in number to present themselves as a military power any longer, they live in secret, learning the ways of the woods and hills, trying to stay alive as a people and trying to survive until the day when the King returns. They are not a rich people any longer, and they walk a thin line between existence and risking becoming too much of a threat, for they know that the Enemy still keeps watch on the North, and if he suspected that the North might become a factor in the Great War to come, he would bring his wrath upon them and hasten their doom.

I think that making as much of your own kit as you are able is a good practice for a Ranger, learning new skill sets that might one day come in handy. Even for the films Viggo Mortensen began repairing his garb on set himself, as he figured that a true Ranger would have to repair his own kit in the Wild. Plus I find it a point of personal satisfaction when I can make something myself and save my wife and I some money 8)

Mountain men and rangers of the Pre and Post Revolutionary War are good examples of Rangers, imo. Looking at what's out there for kit ideas, it seems that 18th century reenactment is more appealing than medieval offerings.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Making something your self really makes it "yours", because you can change and modify it any way you want while your doing it. With that being said I will probably be buying a lot of my stuff. I would love to have half the talent and skill you guys have for making stuff, but not yet. Once I finish will my current honey do list I plan on getting back to the garage and working on my kit and gear.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Willrett,
I think i can safely say that the skills allott of us have came through trial and error. not to mention just getting in their and dooing it. besides learning can be half the fun!!, if you have a question on how to do something you know you can always ask some one here! if we do not know how, then we should know where to find out. :mrgreen:
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Well said, Jolromir! 8) let's get those classes started!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"