Online Tolkein Dictionary?

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Online Tolkein Dictionary?

Post by Eric C »

Okay, slap me on the hand and call me a bad moderator up front. I haven't searched as much as I should, so go ahead and chastise me. :oops:

Anyway, now that the chastisement-ahead-of-time is out of the way, haven't I heard someone here mention an online Tolkein dictionary of some sort? I'm interested in coming up with Dunedain names that aren't necessarily already used in the stories. At the present I call myself Eldacar. Looking to come up with something original.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Online Tolkein Dictionary?

Post by Eric C »

Nevermind. I found it. The name I came up with (for now) is Angarth.
Meaning:
Ang= Iron
Garth = Fortress

I was looking for something that goes along with my actual name. My middle name- which all of you know me by- Eric is Scandanavian. It is a shortened form of Frederick. It means "strong, powerful."

Cartrette is French. I got two answers from two French-speaking people. One meaning was, "Little carriage." The other was "Little cart." The first translation came from a women who, while she spoke very good English, she did not speak it all the time. The second answer came from a French-speaking Canadian friend who came to the US after he retired from his sawmill job in Canada.

Anyway I didn't exactly find a name like that, so Angarth was the next best thing.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Hi Pete! Don't know if either one of these are what you found, but here's a couple I found helpful.

Here's a sindarin name generator:
http://elffetish.com/SindaFrame1.php

And a sindarin dictionary:
http://www.jrrvf.com/cgi-bin/hisweloke/sintrans.cgi
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

PETE!!! Oww I'm wounded! :P :lol:

I used the first one you posted here. I'll check out the second one tomorrow after some sleep.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

AARRGH! :oops: Sorry Eric! Old Timer's Disease strikes again! :oops: It's not bad enough that I can't read anything smaller than an inch high without glasses, the mind, such as it was, is going fast, too!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

You're after Sindarin? Hisweloke is probably the best one...DragonFlame is the program there. Downloadable.

There are some Quenya courses and dictionaries; most of them can be found in links on the Adelambion

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/

Sindarin and Quenya can be and were intermixed.

I've been a member of the Elvish Linguistic Fellowship for a goodly while now.

Hope that helps

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Kaelln: You could have called me much worse. Trust me. It's been done. :cry: At least Pete's a nice guy.

Eledhwen: Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Nice resource Eledwen! Dwarvish. Hmm. I'll be back to the site. There are a lot of things to learn there.
Faolan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Faolan »

This one I found a few years ago. . . .

http://www.realelvish.net/

Faolan
Many evil things there are that your strong walls and bright swords do not stay.
You know little of the lands beyond your bounds.
Peace and freedom, do you say?
The North would have known them little but for us.