A Dunadain Community?

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

A Dunadain Community?

Post by Peter Remling »

How about something like this for a Dunadain community:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... gp/040.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... gp/043.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... gp/035.jpg

I'm down in Williamsburg Va. until tomarrow. My wife and I are taking a mini-vaca, to celebrate our 30th Anniversary (next week). These shots are from the outdoor living museum of Jamestown. I took a lot more and will post them when I get back. Posting from the laptop is a pain so I'll post the rest useing the desktop.

If any of you get the chance to visit the Williamsburg area, Colonial Williamsburg is nice but Jamestown is a lot more interesting and a lot cheaper. The entrance fee to Williamsburg was $36 per person without access to the Gov. Palace (add another $12 for that). Jamestown was less then $15 per person and that's for the Living Museum, the very well down 1/2 hour movie and the inside museum (worth the fee by itself).

I also picked up a small Colonial recipe book so I'll see if I can use anything from it and post it here also.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: A Dunadain Community?

Post by Willrett »

Looks good when do we start.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Don't know what that little shelter was housing in pics 2 and 3, but I certainly know where the forge would be if/when we took over... ;)

Nice pics. Sounds like fun!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I thought the forge was the ONLY thing at Jamestown! :lol: :lol: Once we got inside the walls, the family lost me at the forge. I think pic #1 was taken not far from the forge if I'm not mistaken. They have a NICE forging area set up to provide the place with period ironwork.

10 years ago, the Patriot's Pass at Williamsburg was $35. That was a year-long pass that granted access to everything. Last time we checked into it, the price-of course- had risen.

Dang Pete! I wish I had known you were around, we might have met. I'm really only a couple of hours from Jamestown.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elegost
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Elegost »

OH what an amazing place!, wish I lived near. :(
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

The covered shelter is over the bread oven. The forge is behind the building to the left in the second picture.

What, no pictures of the guardhouse and the sword wall?

I volounteer at Jamestown and will be down there for Thanksgiving. Foods and Feasts is the event. We'll butcher a couple of hogs and show the public how it is done. The meat will be smoked, turned into sausage, or cooked and eaten on the day, as well as many other 17th century dishes. I'll be living in the village for a couple of days, in the soldiers barracks, and spending much of my days demonstrating the weaponry.

Hawk
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Wow we need one of these places with LOTS of land.

Have any of you checked out www.lehmans.com the last catalog I have from them is the Non-Electric catalog.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Steve b wrote:The covered shelter is over the bread oven. The forge is behind the building to the left in the second picture.

What, no pictures of the guardhouse and the sword wall?
All interesting but I was trying to keep the pics more in line with the nature of this forum. I have to say the "guides" were more informed then you find in most museums or "living museums". All had onhand knowledge of what they were representing.
Taurthir
Wanderer

Post by Taurthir »

Elegost wrote:OH what an amazing place!, wish I lived near.
I wish I lived near something interesting or at least remotely ranger...ey.

Looks like a grand place to have been, wish I could go.

All we got is this http://www.abbeytournament.com/home.htm . Huge once a year medieval tournament, check the gallery. Sadly Australia is in its infancy and anything fantasic, even slightly is considered taboo by the masses, its odd to dress in anything before the 1990's here for some reason and even odder to dress as something that doesnt exist to a commoners mind
"Let us together rebuild this world that we may share in the days of peace."
Taurthir of the Forest Guard. Yes my cloak needs some darkening
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Taurthir wrote:
Elegost wrote:OH what an amazing place!, wish I lived near.
I wish I lived near something interesting or at least remotely ranger...ey.

Looks like a grand place to have been, wish I could go.

All we got is this http://www.abbeytournament.com/home.htm . Huge once a year medieval tournament, check the gallery. Sadly Australia is in its infancy and anything fantasic, even slightly is considered taboo by the masses, its odd to dress in anything before the 1990's here for some reason and even odder to dress as something that doesnt exist to a commoners mind
We have discussed a number of different ways Rangers would react in different climates/terran. I know many others and I would be very interested in how Australian Aboriginals lived and interacted in some of the more severe environments of the Outback.