Halloween Shenanigans?

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Halloween Shenanigans?

Post by Greg »

Lori and I are going to our church's harvest festival this evening, which is essentially a more wholesome alternative for kids to acquire candy and get dressed up at, etc., and we'll be doing so in kit and Faire Garb. Should be a fun evening; will post pics.

Anyone else doing anything fun this weekend? Anyone else throwing on their Ranger garb?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Re: Halloween Shenanigans?

Post by Willrett »

I was a zombie and my cousin was a zombie. It was a very fun night today is gonna be rough.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Nice. I'm doing the exact same thing as you and Lori tonight, Greg. :)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good man. Take pictures!

Sounds like fun, Will!
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

I did my Ranger gear two years ago, but I try to mix it up. This year, for instance, I will be Sherlock Holmes, and my wife will be a female Watson.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Greg

Post by Greg »

Chris Russo wrote:I did my Ranger gear two years ago, but I try to mix it up. This year, for instance, I will be Sherlock Holmes, and my wife will be a female Watson.
I try to, too. This is actually my first year wearing anything "Medieval" since dressing as robin hood as an eight year old. Last year I stole one of my brother-in-law's work uniforms and went as "John Mathews the Tow Truck Driver." Half the church thought I'd gotten a job there...it was rather humorous...though awkward, since Lori decided, unknown to me, to dress up that night as her own father, complete in Nascar fan shirt and hat, drawn on goatee, and beer belly...
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

And here are a couple photos...

Two Rangers and a Christmas caroler.

A Ranger and a guy with hair contributing to the declension of children's teeth.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Ernildhir, good looking gear you have there! Did you make the bracers and jerkin yourself?
Greg

Post by Greg »

I spy with my little eye...a Clarke Pennywhistle?!?!
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you, Kaelln. I did not make the bracer nor the jerkin (if we can call it that... I think it's closer to a breastplate). I did shape it to my chest, stain it, and paint upon it the emblems of Númenor, though.

Greg -- that is a pennywhistle, but I'm unsure of whether or not it is a Clarke pennywhistle. I don't know what sort it is, and I'm too lazy to walk downstairs, pick it up, and look for an indication at the moment. ;) Perhaps I'll check later.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Does it have a painted-on diamond shape between each of the toneholes?
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I just looked at it... it doesn't have that diamond pattern you described, but it does have the name Clarke's painted on it, so I suppose it must be a Clarke's pennywhistle.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ahhh...it's the new, non-ugly model. The diamonds were tacky. The new ones sound a little brighter, too. I like 'em.

Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

It's good to know that I have the non-ugly model. ;)
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ernildhir wrote:It's good to know that I have the non-ugly model. ;)
Always a perk, eh?

A bit late and a bit lame, but I DO have ONE picture from halloween. I know there were at least half a dozen pictures taken of myself and my wife, but none of them have popped up online except for this one, which isn't exactly a winner. They forced Lori and I to judge the kid's costume contest since we were dressed up, unlike 90% of the adults in attendance. It was cruel, though, since she knows 1/2 of the kids personally. Anywho, they caught us "deliberating" amongst ourselves, and the result...
She had JUST taken her cloak off...that thing is gorgeous. I took my full kit out there, bedroll and all, and the one picture managed to omit just about everything. Go figure. We had a great time, and are looking forward to next year.