A question for our linguists

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

A question for our linguists

Post by Eric C »

In the Tale of Two Axes, I told of the adventure of the father, Angarth and the son, Elyon. Since that telling, my daughter Ruinferil wants me to tell of our adventure together. It will be a bit more lengthy than the Axes for it spanned several cities and is really a tale of a father and daughter's desperation.

Anyway, Angarth's father will make an appearance. I am searching for a good name for him. He is modeled after my own dad. Dad was a 10 year Navy man who basically raised himself - his father was a mean alcoholic who at the age of 70 died when my dad was only 13, making him the man of his house. So with Dad's Navy background, I thought to draw from that for his name. I didn't like the combination I got for "Sea Man" or the word for "Sailor." None of which I can remember at the moment. So I named him Ciradan. "Ship Man." The more I looked at it, the more familiar it looked. The it hit me. Duh! Cirdan the shipwright.

So I took another route. Dad could take a lot before his fuze finally burned away, but God help you when it was gone. He could be described as fiery when that happened. So I thought to name him something that went along with his temperament. I came up with Baradan = "Fiery Man."

So here's the question, or questions: Would it be more proper to drop an A to make the name Bardan the same way as Cirdan? Also, this is Sindarin. Should I check out the quenya to see what would work there with "sailor" or "ship man" or something of that sort?

And finally: Does any of this make sense?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: A question for our linguists

Post by Ernildir »

Eric,

Yes, it makes sense.

Cirdan is actually cair "ship" plus tan "wright, maker". Cirdan means ship-wright, not ship-man or sailor, so you could still use Ciradan if you'ld like to, and it would have quite a distinct meaning from Cirdan.

As for Baradan, there is a difficulty. We would be combing bara "fiery" with adan "man". We would be joining two a's together, which is awkward. I haven't encountered that before, and I don't know what to do with it. Common sense tells us to drop one of the a's to form Baradan, as you did, but the problem is that we also have the word bar "house, home". So it would look as if the intended meaning was house-man. A couple alternatives: Noradan "man of fire", Lachadan "man of leaping flame". And, again, you can still use Ciradan, which although it does resemble Cirdan, has a distinct meaning.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

My thoughts of Baradan is that it would be somewhat like Biblical Greek in that when two vowels collide they get dropped if my memory serves me correctly. Greek class was a LOOOONG time ago now.

But anyway, it's a toss-up at the moment between Lachadan- I liked that one, and Ciradan- I'd love to honor his military experience.

Thanks!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

My pleasure!

Remember that the "ch" in Lachadan is pronounced as in the Scottish loch rather than the English church. That might affect your decision.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

OOOH I do like the name Lachadan! Can I get a copyright if no one else wants to use that name?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.