Boots Boots and more Boots

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Boots Boots and more Boots

Post by Manveruon »

Cool, thanks! Those were the exact ones I was thinking of getting for myself, so that's good to know. Are the toes especially pointy? As in, noticeably-odd-looking pointy? Because at the moment that's really the only thing stopping me from ordering a pair.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

They are pointy as compared to modern shoes, but not really bad. They won't affect the way you walk or anything of that nature. They also run true to US sizes so you can order the actual size you wear without having to guess if they will be tight or not.

My next pairs will be the 3 toggle viking with reinforced heel and lug sole for SCA fighting and the viking tall boots. Working to save the funds for them.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Okay guys, I've finally decided to go with the triple buckle boots. I put my extra pickiness aside and went with a pair of ankle boots :P

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/14th ... -boot.html
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Those boots look great! Just be careful with the natural soles, they can get a little slippy! I have a pair of these boots and they wear quite well : http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-3158 ... shoes.aspx (an fyi, I got those 3 years ago for 110.00, prices are going up!)

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

These would be awesome boots if they were real leather! http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-2099 ... boots.aspx

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I think you made a good decision, sir! Those look great for what you're doing!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

rangersamII wrote:Okay guys, I've finally decided to go with the triple buckle boots. I put my extra pickiness aside and went with a pair of ankle boots :P

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/14th ... -boot.html
Pay the extra for the vibram sole. It kills that slick problem Mirimaran warned of. You don't need the full lugs. In the pic I posted the black sole is a thin layer of vibram with ridges for grip. I believe the soles he uses now are tan to match the leather look better.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Mirimaran wrote:Those boots look great! Just be careful with the natural soles, they can get a little slippy! I have a pair of these boots and they wear quite well : http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-3158 ... shoes.aspx (an fyi, I got those 3 years ago for 110.00, prices are going up!)

Ken
You can get those from Kult of Athena for 110.95. http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=GB1165
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

My Boots finally arrived!!! They are awesome and I'm glad I chose them. now To break them in :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

You can also search the site for several threads for making boots also. Some were mocs, but I remember Andy's and another Ranger (names escapes me---English, recreates Nottingham hunter persona) made nice servicable period boots
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

rangersamII wrote:My Boots finally arrived!!! They are awesome and I'm glad I chose them. now To break them in :mrgreen:
I would be absolutely thrilled if you were to post some photos of you wearing them in the not-too-distant-future! :mrgreen:
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Manveruon wrote:
rangersamII wrote:My Boots finally arrived!!! They are awesome and I'm glad I chose them. now To break them in :mrgreen:
I would be absolutely thrilled if you were to post some photos of you wearing them in the not-too-distant-future! :mrgreen:
That just may be possible lol. I'll put pics up tomorrow.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Groo-vay!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I figured I'd follow up here to see if you could still possibly throw some pics up of you in the boots, RangerSam. Pleeeeeeeeaaaase? :mrgreen:

And E.MacKermak: were you ever able to dig up any more shots of you showing your feet?

At the moment I am just on the verge of pulling the trigger on some Viking Leathercrafts boots, but I want to make sure I'm choosing the right ones. Right now it's between the two boots below:

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/13th ... boots.html

And...

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/13th ... boots.html

Either way, it is my intent to modify the shoes once they get to me. My idea is to add a taller shaft for the calf, and thereby turn them into a true boot instead of just a shoe. I figure I'll add some straps to keep them up, and maybe a little decorative stitching.

I like the look of the second pair a lot, but they're a bit more expensive. I like the buckle a lot, but it might also be a bit flashy for Ranger shoes. What do you guys think? E.MacKermak: do you have an opinion, having owned several of their products? Also, how well are yours holding up? Enquiring minds want to know!
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

I completely forgot I said I would post pics up :oops:

I just came back from hunting turkey and still had my sweatpants on so I figured I could take the pics quick. I think after I wore them three times, they were pretty well broken in. They fit my feet very comfortably. The only thing that I tend to complain about is the placement of the holes. One boot, the holes are in the right spot to fit snug around my leg, but the other is just slightly off. They still fit well and aren't loose. I also had the Vibram soles added as you all suggested and I walked around all day at the Ren Faire and my feet didn't hurt more than they usually would've from a day of walking. All in all, a very good buy :mrgreen:
Attachments
1109131143.jpg
1109131143.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 17608 times
1109131144.jpg
1109131144.jpg (95.21 KiB) Viewed 17608 times