Boot Advice (yep, another boot thread)

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Boot Advice (yep, another boot thread)

Post by Manveruon »

Okay folks, so I put this out there a bit on another boot thread, but I figured I might get a better response here.

I am planning to purchase a pair of Viking Leathercrafts boots in the very near future, but I am having trouble deciding which pair to buy. So I'm putting it out to the forum at large to see what your opinions are (because I'm apparently incapable of making a decision on my own).

Before you say which you like better though, let me make a couple of quick points:

1) While I want these for ranger use, I also do a turn-of-the-13th-Century impression in the SCA, so that's the era I'm gravitating towards the most

2) I am planning on modifying whichever pair I buy substantially by adding a long shaft onto the top, so as to make them into something more like proper knee-high boots. These shafts will be held up by leather straps which will criss-cross around the leg (or possibly something more like Strider's boots). I realize that this sort of defeats the historical authenticity of them, but I'm okay with that. I figure it's my personal artistic license.

3) I seem to really like making numbered lists lately, but I digress.

4) I will also, naturally, be using these for Middle Earth Ranger stuff, and I want them to really "look the part" of a ranger boot.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, which one of these do you guys think would work and look best for what I'm doing with them? Is the buckle on the later pair just too shiny for ranger-wear? Or is it probably better for the fit of the boot overall? Should I go with the ones closer to "my time period," or throw caution to the wind and go with the later ones? And bottom line: which ones just plain look cooler?

Thanks guys!

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/13th ... boots.html

http://www.vikingleathercrafts.com/13th ... boots.html
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Boot Advice (yep, another boot thread)

Post by Peter Remling »

Personally, I like the non-buckled better. Same custom fit and easier to make repairs in the wilderness.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Admittedly, I am starting to veer towards that design myself. They're also $10 less, which is nice.

Mainly, I just thought the picture of the buckled pair looked nice than the picture of the non-buckled one. But upon closer inspection, they honestly look like almost the same shoe, only one has a buckle and one doesn't. I'll probably end up going with the non-buckled version.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

Manveruon, do not even worry about the buckles in any way. My boots are only a few months old and the brass is starting to oxidize. They are nowhere near polished and shiny and I don't even think my bedroom light reflects off of them.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Peter Remling wrote:Personally, I like the non-buckled better. Same custom fit and easier to make repairs in the wilderness.
I absolutely agree.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

rangersamII wrote:Manveruon, do not even worry about the buckles in any way. My boots are only a few months old and the brass is starting to oxidize. They are nowhere near polished and shiny and I don't even think my bedroom light reflects off of them.
I'm not sure if the brightness of the buckle is the issue that Peter was referring to. If a buckle breaks in the wilderness it is probably a repair that is not easily fixed. When a lace breaks it can easily be replaced with another spare lace from the pack, without having to do any sewing or metal work.
You can't take the sky from me.
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

No but I was referring to his question about the buckle being to shiny for ranger use in the initial post.
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I hear you guys about the buckle being less field-friendly. As for the shine, I'm sure you're right, Sam, because I have a buckle from their company on my quiver, and it has developed a lovely aged patina over the last couple years I've used it.

Still, in the end, I think (for me at least) the earlier period, non-buckled boots are the winners. I'll be ordering them as soon as I get paid!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I use pull on boots for the most part. The few toggle or buckle styles I have I made extra buckles and toggles for and cart them around in the sewing kit. I have never had either one break or give way yet.

I just prefer pull on boots. I have two pair..one from SCA Boots, the other from Chivalry Bookshelf, which is the pair I use for St. Huberts' activities. That latter pair are becoming a very fast favorite so I may well just start general Ranging with them. They are derived from period illuminations. The SCA Boots (Maiden style) are simply sexy...and I love 'em. LOL

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Pictures, pictures! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Footskins.....google them.....'nuff said!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Sorry guys, I don't do moccasins. They're fine for what they are, but they're not my style. As for Eledhwen's post - are there pictures of you out there in said boots? I'm just curious as to what they look like. Specifically the Chivalry Bookshelf ones.

One way or the other, I'm 100% sold on the 13th century boots from Viking Leathercrafts at this point, and all that's left is for me to hit "buy."
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

Oh, on the inside they are not like a flat soled moccasin....at all....they are like a boot! That being said if they are nae for ye then they are nae for ye!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

There is a picture of me wearing the SCA boots somewhere or other. I will probably be getting pics with the period medieval boots here very soon.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!