Bow options

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Eric C
Vendor

Bow options

Post by Eric C »

I would love to have a new bow. My current bow is a 40# longbow. It's not even legal to hunt with it. I'd love to get my hands on a nice recurve at around 45#. Problem is that cash flow is very restricted at the moment. As for trades, in all fairness, I have to finish the last trade deal I've made - sorry... You know who you are.

So, anyway, I guess I'm just putting this out there to get some ideas from you about what I can do to replace my bow. I can post again when my forging schedule opens up some.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Bow options

Post by Manveruon »

Any idea of price range? The Samic SKB 50 is an excellent option under $200, as long as you're willing to do a little work to disguise the modern designs on the limbs. Solid bow though.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

A great value :

https://www.amazon.com/Samick-Sage-Take ... ecurve+bow

I'm not sure if the aesthetic is in line with what you are looking for.

I have one and am very pleased with it. You might eventually want to swap out the string.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

The advantage to the SKB 50 is that it's totally primitive - no risers, no detachable limbs, just a very plain recurve bow that packs a punch and is super lightweight.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Right now I'm not sure of the price range. I will most likely depend on a knife sale to fund it since I'm trying to send my wife back to school soon. I'll check into the SKB. I could get down my copies of the Bowyer's Bible, but I'd love to have a bow sometime this century..... Yeah.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

one of the "You finish" bows from Ringing Rocks? I think Urthgard has one of theirs and is happy with it.

I love the simpler elvish one. Can't fit it into a persona I think, but it's lovely.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I've seen good things from Ringing Rocks so far. They're definitely not what you'd call high-end, but for what they are, their products seem quite nice, overall. There's also www.woodbows.com for something basic, as well.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Dang! I just checked out woodbows.com and it has a note saying that they will not be able to stay in business. :cry:
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

I know a couple MERFers have bows from Bows of the Risen Son. They're very inexpensive, and Greg reviewed his here.
- Ned Houndswood, Breelander
Richmond Fantasy-Inspired Hiking and Camping (on WordPress and Facebook)
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Eric C wrote:Dang! I just checked out woodbows.com and it has a note saying that they will not be able to stay in business. :cry:
Well that's a shame. I got my very fist bow from them. :(
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:
Eric C wrote:Dang! I just checked out woodbows.com and it has a note saying that they will not be able to stay in business. :cry:
Same here (well, first longbow, which I consider my first real bow). Rough time for bowyers right now - Rudderbows just threw in the towel, as well.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Taurinor wrote:
Manveruon wrote:
Same here (well, first longbow, which I consider my first real bow). Rough time for bowyers right now - Rudderbows just threw in the towel, as well.
Whoa, seriously? I'm shocked!
Taurinor
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Taurinor »

Manveruon wrote:
Whoa, seriously? I'm shocked!
Yep - got an email on the way to the SC Moot last month that said they were closed and that they recommended Crows Head Outfitters for future trad bow needs.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Wow, what a downer!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Wow. Not good news any way we look at it. I was hoping to get a bow somewhat quickly. I guess I'll have to learn to do it myself. :?