Ranger's Apprentice Style Saxe Knife and Throwing Knife

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Ranger's Apprentice Style Saxe Knife and Throwing Knife

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:For those interested, Andy Davis, formerly of the Mad Dwarf Workshop, is nearly finished with these. I don't doubt you know what their intended use is...RangersApprenticeKnives.jpg
Those are about the truest to form of the Araluen Ranger Corps knife set as I have yet seen, bladewise!
I think that the cover art on the Australian books (which were changed due to John Flanagan's direct input) Had more of a stacked leather grip with brass furniture. But Hell if I were going to make them for myself as a Ranger that could make knives, that's what I would do with them! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Ranger's Apprentice Style Saxe Knife and Throwing Knife

Post by Greg »

I seem to vaguely recall the novels actually mentioning stacked leather as the handle material, but Andy still seems to have hit the nail on the head. He said it was a commission for a local SCA member. I responded saying "For an SCA member who most assuredly has read the Rangers Apprentice series dozens of times..."

Davis didn't confirm or deny this, but he did mention later in another comment that he's also been commissioned to craft a combined scabbard for the two of them. Umm...yeah.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.