Question for Steve, open to all

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Question for Steve, open to all

Post by hesinraca »

French and Indian war = Frontier Faire sort of thing correct?

I found some awesome block tea, sewing supplies, and cooking stuff at a fair, but I missed the recent one. Any idea on how to aquire general camp goods like castg iron, cooking spices, utencils, fire starters, sewing/repair tools, knife care kits, period candles, period material, etc etc. Anything that looks older would be great, just cant seam to find a year round source.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Jas. Townsend a sutler both catalog and online, carries a good many of the things you mentioned. Block tea, sugar cones, sewing and repair kits and materials. Dixie Gun Works is another that carries material, patterns knives, cooking utensils and other camp ironware.

Many of the online sources carry firestarting kits but I suggest you try Ebay for flint and steel sets. If you take a good look over the course of a week you can get a good set with hemp cord and tindercloth for a very reasonable price( under $10). You can get a real break by buying in quantity about $7-8 per set. Good if you know a few others local to you that need a set.

I havn't seen any sutler carry a tea baller (hollow sphere for placing raw tea into) but they can be picked up at some of the houseware gadget or dollar stores if you search.
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

I also recommend Crazy Crow and Turkey Foot.
Peter Remling wrote:I havn't seen any sutler carry a tea baller (hollow sphere for placing raw tea into) but they can be picked up at some of the houseware gadget or dollar stores if you search.
If you mean for lowering the loose tea into the water during steeping, it's not a tea baller but Townsend carries a bamboo strainer that would serve the same purpose.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Cool, I'll take a look and anything I dont find, I'll make a list and post it:)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Chris Russo wrote:I also recommend Crazy Crow and Turkey Foot.

If you mean for lowering the loose tea into the water during steeping, it's not a tea baller but Townsend carries a bamboo strainer that would serve the same purpose.
I took a look at the strainer, I like it better than my tea baller. It appears tighter so I should get less floating tea leaves.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

The trick is to make sure your water is at a full rolling boil before you put it on the tea leaves. I just throw some leaves in the cup and add boiling water. Stir it, add raw sugar and half and half and it's done. I never have a problem with floating leaves.

If you want a really good, strong black tea, try Lipton Yellow Label. get it at your local indian food store. The box will be half in Englis, half in Indian, Good strong tea for waking up.

Steve
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks, will do.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

The trick is to make sure your water is at a full rolling boil before you put it on the tea leaves. I just throw some leaves in the cup and add boiling water. Stir it, add raw sugar and half and half and it's done. I never have a problem with floating leaves.
You know I figured I'd give this a try so instead of steeping my tea in a straining cup. So I grabbed some loose earl gray I get from the coffee shop, put it in the cup, and drew to water. After waiting for a full rolling boil I just poured the water straight in to my drinking cup over the leaves. They floated for a second or two and then sunk t the bottom. no floating leaves! Thanks Steve, I'll be making my tea this way from now on.
Winter is coming
dwayne davis

Re: Question for Steve, open to all

Post by dwayne davis »

Hi!,
Just thought i would jump in, Dixie gunworks out of Union TN also carries a fair selection of primitve equipment as well as patterns for period clothing if you are into making as much of youre own kit as possible. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22 :|
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

http://www.smoke-fire.com/

They have a good catalog.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Thanks everyone, I'll check that stuff out!
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

antique stores for all sorts of things, Draw knives for making your own wooden parts are a big score
lacking anything clever to say.......
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

hey thanks for the link to smoke and fire.com. i realy like some of their pottery peices. :)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?