Upgrade your sword(s)!

Are you a craftsman, or setting setting up shop? Tell us about what you do, or offer.

Moderator: Eric C

Odigan
Vendor

Upgrade your sword(s)!

Post by Odigan »

Do you have the best sword you can afford but not the one you wish you could? Perhaps a trusty old blade that has been (ab)used for too long? Looking for a newer, nicer model but don't have the coin? I may be able to help.

Send to me your MRL, Del Tin, Hanwei, and other such makes of sword and I will return to you a rebuilt and customized marvel.

Basic servicing to include:

- Complete disassembly
- Straightening, Re-grinding, and finishing of all hilt components
- Light re-grinding, refinishing, straightening, and sharpening of the blade
- Peened or welded-in-place guard
- Hot peened pommel
- Leather-wrapped grip in your choice of colour and riser style.

This for a flat rate of $150 including return shipping. This service does not provide for remedy of severe flaws (poor heat-treat, cracks, off-centre fullers, etc.).

A recent rebuild is pictured below. Interested? PM me here to discuss details.
Attachments
MRL Schwert Before
MRL Schwert Before
MRL_SchwertB.JPG (187.17 KiB) Viewed 24216 times
MRL Schwert After
MRL Schwert After
MRL_SchwertA.JPG (227.1 KiB) Viewed 24216 times
Last edited by Odigan on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Upgrade your sword(s)!

Post by Manveruon »

Very impressive! If I actually had a sword to do this with, I would probably take you up on the offer! As it is, I may seriously consider having you redo my pirate cutlass, if you would be open to it. Still, may have to wait a while before I can drop any cash on something like that.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

I'll certainly consider working on just about anything, and have done so in the past. I should have also mentioned that I am open to trades in whole or in part. Not sure what I might be needing, but it never hurts to make an offer. I could always use more arrows...
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Nice work, for anyone who wants the sword pictured above. It's on Ebay now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130796804040?ss ... 1423.l2649

Good luck with the sale and your service, your pricing is very reasonable !
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Eric...we'll talk soon. I recall you making a similar offer in regards to my Bristol last november...we'll talk.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Greg

Post by Greg »

If you've been on the fence about this, or weren't really sure what Odigan is capable of based on the images he presented above alone, allow me to begin to tease you.

I bought what was understood to be a Tinker Longsword bare blade off someone on this forum about three years ago, and finally gave up on re-hilting it myself...it just sat. If it is, in fact, of Tinker origin, it's not the Hanwei model, as it lacks the flared shoulders. Anywho, here's what I sent Odigan a few weeks back:

...and here's the teaser pic he sent me today. The fuller was straightened, the edge taper was completely re-done, he etched the fuller with its name...oh, and he took around half a foot off the end. It is now an arming sword.

I'll be picking it up from Odigan later this week, and more pics will follow, including a review on the finish, the edge, and other things he did to it. Pricing is not my place to discuss...you'll have to approach him yourself in that regard.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

OOOooooooooOOOOOOOOooooooohhhh!!!!

Can't wait to see more!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Update?
Winter is coming
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Odigan did AMAZING work on a couple blades for me:

The first was a bare blade from Albion. For those who've not seen the bare blades as they come from the factory, they are quite rough - CNC machining marks all over, an unfinished spine - this was not a simple "sandpaper it smooth" job. Now it's sharp enough it could end a recalcitrant Gaul with a whisper - AND Odigan happened to have some hilt components on hand which he included with the blade when it came back. I could not be happier -

That's nothing though to what he did to my abused Coustille. I have loved the little form of it for years, but never liked that it was typical Windlass - butterknife edge, screw on pommel.. it looked factory, and it looked cheap.

Odigan not only put on a wicked sharp real appleseed edge, he somehow managed to get a real peened over tang through the pommel, and did a very nice hilt wrap to boot. Not it looks like something that really would be at home in medieval England - or strapped to the side of some Middle Earth wanderer. :)

Odigan does incredible work, and frankly I think is pricing his work far too low for the quality he delivers.
A real craftsman!

Thank you Odigan!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I love what he did with the Coustille, I have the newer version, I think, of the Windlass model. The hilt on mine is ragged out and now I am thinking it might be time to upgrade a bit! :) Thanks for posting pics!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg

Post by Greg »

Elleth wrote:....or strapped to the side of some Middle Earth wanderer.
"So it was that he came at last to the banks of Anduin at the dead of night, and he was weary; for he had made a journey that the Dúnedain on such ground could have made no quicker, marching with halt and by day. The river was swirling dark and swift before him. He stood for a while, alone and in despair. Then in haste he cast off all his armour and weapons, save a short sword at his belt,[28] and plunged into the water. He was a man of strength and endurance that few even of the Dúnedain of that age could equal, but he had little hope to gain the other shore. Before he had gone far he was forced to turn almost north against the current; and strive as he might he was ever swept down towards the tangles of the Gladden Fields..."

28 : This was of a kind called eket: a short stabbing sword with a broad blade, pointed and two-edged, from a foot to one and a half feet long.

I have never seen a blade that fit this description better. Never. I once swore I'd get myself a coustille and have Odigan work it over. Now it may be much higher on my list...and I haven't the funds to track one down at the moment. Dangit.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Greg wrote: I have never seen a blade that fit this description better. Never. I once swore I'd get myself a coustille and have Odigan work it over. Now it may be much higher on my list...and I haven't the funds to track one down at the moment. Dangit.
http://kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=501014

MRL coustille (I have the same one) for 99.00 USD.

Hope that helps!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"