Need feedback on idea of a 'Middle-Earth inn'

Are you a craftsman, or setting setting up shop? Tell us about what you do, or offer.

Moderator: Eric C

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Need feedback on idea of a 'Middle-Earth inn'

Post by Beornmann »

Yes, it's Ravenwood Castle.

Other similar sites are:
West Stow Anglo-Saxon Village
Nordic Inn Medieval Brew and Bed
Ravensborg, Viking Longfort
There's also a nearby SCA knight with a hardcore Viking persona that is talking about building a hall on his land.

What you are describing sounds a lot like deer camp when I was younger. Out-houses and primitive housing (mobile-home/trailers and additions). Oh yeah, and some time in the woods chasing game.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Argh, why does no one in Colorado do something cool like this? We've got a very active SCA populous, as well as Dagohir, various LARP groups, etc. etc. You'd think we'd have SOMEONE crazy enough to build a long-hall or some such up in the mountains somewhere! 'Course, you'd think we'd have more than one active ranger too...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

That's it we arrange a ranger gathering at Ravenswood castle....By Striders blade what a great looking place and cabins too. I mean I'm about as a ranger of the north as you get and I'd make that trip, kit and all
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

So it's funny - right after posting my lament, I discovered this place up in Fort Collins. It's over an hour drive for me, but that's still closer than anywhere else at the moment, haha. Sadly, it doesn't open for a while yet, and I suspect the final product will be somewhat of a cheese-straviganza, rather than anything remotely "authentic" feeling. But at the moment, I think it's the best we've got around these parts.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/enterta ... /21452133/

http://www.dungeonsanddrafts.com/
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Will it be hard-core cheese-wheelin'? Absolutely. But you know...sometimes those are the best places to garb up and impress people.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Yeah for sure. Sadly sparse and even if common places...we're all still scattered across the world too. Mind you more medieval styled taverns with garb allowed would be an awesome thing
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Are there themed taverns that don't allow garb?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Oh, I fully intend on at least one garbed-up visit, haha. If they don't let in costumed weirdos I feel like they're alienating a pretty huge percentage of their potential clientele.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

Strider it up in the corner and post a pic mate
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Abso-floggin'-lutely!
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

A wee bit of skull duggery would do you good
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

Stormraven wrote: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:28 pm I've had similar ideas. I have nearly 20 acres here in Georgia (woodland and meadow with 1 acre stocked pond) and I've wanted to create a self-sufficient Middle Earth village and community. My wife and I have no children and no heirs so it would be a good project to pass on. Problem is you have interest but no serious takers. People are too comfortable with their modern lives and are quite unwilling to give up electricity and running water. It's still a dream of mine and it's a shame for the property is already here and I still can't find people willing to give up on modern conveniences even with the idea of adding a community building with such amenities (showers, computers, TV, modern kitchen).
What part of Georgia are you in? I love helping people with projects and I've always wanted to try to build an old fashioned village. You tell me I can show up some weekend and build a cottage, I'm there.
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Brandwyn
Wanderer

Post by Brandwyn »

Hey Straelbora, So what is the status on your Inn project?
Have you built it?

If not yet, I have some suggestions concerning amenities;
As someone who has cooked meals over open fires for a couple of hundred people, I would strongly urge that you have a kitchen area with a hand pump water into a double basin sink. I don't think that would pull people out of immersion and whoever cooks meals for the tavern or washes mugs and dishes will be very grateful.

Also, having a stone hearth/kitchen firepit area with maybe even a stone oven for cooking bread, cakes and puddings would also be very cool and really add to the ambiance. You could put the kitchen area at one end and behind a wall or a half-wall to keep up appearances and keep non-cooks and non-servers out of the kitchen. Often in medieval taverns, there was an outside stone oven on the back side of the tavern or Inn. Having it outside cuts down on the fire danger inside the Inn, but as a cook, having it inside would be preferable, in my opinion.

You may also want a "bar" area, where serving wenches can serve drinks to the patrons (and a place the serving wenches can escape to!).

I recently discovered a LARP site in Maine called Burgundar (the main hall was upgraded by the Maine Cabin Masters on one of their shows that aired in 2019). It looks like it is the same type of camp you have in mind, and they have been going since 2016 at least.

Anyway, give us an update. It has been a while since you posted your idea. I would love to know if you have realized your dream and if so, how it is going.
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)