Need feedback on idea of a 'Middle-Earth inn'

Are you a craftsman, or setting setting up shop? Tell us about what you do, or offer.

Moderator: Eric C

Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Need feedback on idea of a 'Middle-Earth inn'

Post by Elleth »

Are you familiar with Camlann, by any chance? I imagine they might have good advice on what events/attractions pull enough custom to stay solvent without going all Six-Flags and destroying authenticity and charm.

http://www.camlann.org/

Ultimately, I suspect it will be more a labor of love than a true money maker - but labors of love are delightful. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Rifter
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Rifter »

That's fantastic, we don't have anything like that here in Canada
'Just because I don't like to fight...doesn't mean I can't'
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Not sure if I'm green lighting now or in a few years (my wife fears that I would become obsessed and disappear from raising my sons), but the longer I take to plan, I think the easier it will be to set stuff up.

One advantage is that I really don't have to make a profit-making venture. I'd just hate to essentially throw a party and have no one show up. Whatever else, I'll eventually have the parcel of land (and maybe even a bigger one, if I wait) and build an inn-like cabin for myself.

I'm pretty uncompromising on the electricity/running water aspect of the inn. If it means fewer people interested, so be it. I know how much I would love to just spend a weekend in Middle-Earth, and want to provide the same for people who want to go to Eriador, Westeros or 14th century France.

I'd probably have an electrified, modern(ish) caretaker's cottage at the entrance, as I doubt my wife and others share my mania. That would also help satisfy the problem of hygienic food and beverage storage.

You've all given me some great ideas- I hadn't thought beyond fans of fantasy. The idea of small concerts, weddings, technology-free retreats, etc. hadn't crossed my mind.

The piece of land I had taken an interest in last week is great, but might not be suited to such a development- I need the right comination of flat and hilly, field and wood, far enough from the noise and lights but not too far off the beaten path.

The input I've gotten has stimulated a lot of thoughts- thanks again.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Gondian »

I am "friends" with several groups of people here in Michigan that would jump at the chance to spend the week end there! I my self would love the chance to talk to you about possable hunting trips, (I just met Paul Wilber, founder of St.Herbert's Rangers, and I am sure he would be interested) and archery competitions. This is a great Idea Straelbora!
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Gondian wrote:I am "friends" with several groups of people here in Michigan that would jump at the chance to spend the week end there! I my self would love the chance to talk to you about possable hunting trips, (I just met Paul Wilber, founder of St.Herbert's Rangers, and I am sure he would be interested) and archery competitions. This is a great Idea Straelbora!
This is why I'm thinking of maybe waiting a couple of years- I could probably do 20 or 25 acres now, but likely 100 or so acres in a few years. A larger plot of land would allow things like hunting excursions (something else I hadn't thought of- I just pictured myself and anyone from the forum who wanted to buy and Indiana hunting license).

A larger plot of land also allows me to expand in a way I'd like. If I started making a profit, I would turn the money back into the project and make, say, some 'Numenorean ruins' in one corner of the land, where people could take photos or LARPers could have 'Weathertop' scenarios; I would maybe build some simple Elvish flets in another portion, and even something Dwarvish elsewhere.
Hávamál
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Elleth wrote:Are you familiar with Camlann, by any chance? I imagine they might have good advice on what events/attractions pull enough custom to stay solvent without going all Six-Flags and destroying authenticity and charm.

http://www.camlann.org/

Ultimately, I suspect it will be more a labor of love than a true money maker - but labors of love are delightful. :)
Spot on. Camlann indicates that there is a market of some sort. To me, it's like the difference between a Ren Faire and a Society for Creative Anachronism event- in my set up, it's not day-trippers and people paid to be in character; it's for the people who want 'full immersion,' as much as is possible, in a fantasy venue.
Hávamál
Gondian

Post by Gondian »

Straelbora wrote:
Gondian wrote:I am "friends" with several groups of people here in Michigan that would jump at the chance to spend the week end there! I my self would love the chance to talk to you about possable hunting trips, (I just met Paul Wilber, founder of St.Herbert's Rangers, and I am sure he would be interested) and archery competitions. This is a great Idea Straelbora!
This is why I'm thinking of maybe waiting a couple of years- I could probably do 20 or 25 acres now, but likely 100 or so acres in a few years. A larger plot of land would allow things like hunting excursions (something else I hadn't thought of- I just pictured myself and anyone from the forum who wanted to buy and Indiana hunting license).

A larger plot of land also allows me to expand in a way I'd like. If I started making a profit, I would turn the money back into the project and make, say, some 'Numenorean ruins' in one corner of the land, where people could take photos or LARPers could have 'Weathertop' scenarios; I would maybe build some simple Elvish flets in another portion, and even something Dwarvish elsewhere.
You are a bloomin genious
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Here's an example and evidence that something like this can be done. Here in Arkansas is Castra Lafe, the product of one man's ingenuity, perspiration, and dream.
There is another roman building, and a small Celt village that I don't have pictures of.
Each year a full immersion Roman event is held on site with military, civilian, Celt, and gladiator impressions. The owner is starting to open the site to SCA also.
You can't take the sky from me.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

wulfgar wrote:Here's an example and evidence that something like this can be done. Here in Arkansas is Castra Lafe, the product of one man's ingenuity, perspiration, and dream.
There is another roman building, and a small Celt village that I don't have pictures of.
Each year a full immersion Roman event is held on site with military, civilian, Celt, and gladiator impressions. The owner is starting to open the site to SCA also.
Thanks. If that doesn't convince my wife that this can happen, I don't know what would.

Also, I totally want to visit it.
Hávamál
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

If you started a medieval themed village, I know where I'd moving to when I move out! I'll load up my "futuristic and mechanical steel wagon" and be on my way :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Daerir wrote:If you started a medieval themed village, I know where I'd moving to when I move out! I'll load up my "futuristic and mechanical steel wagon" and be on my way :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A year or so from now, I'll see how much seed money I have for the project. Unless there's a radical change, I'm looking to buy 100 or so acres in Indiana.
Hávamál
Daerir
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Daerir »

If and when I get out of tech school, I might consider moving to Indiana, but it all depends on job standing. If I ever do show up, I might even set up a little kiosk for my wooden wares :mrgreen:
An archer practices until he gets it right. A ranger practices until he never gets it wrong
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Daerir wrote:If and when I get out of tech school, I might consider moving to Indiana, but it all depends on job standing. If I ever do show up, I might even set up a little kiosk for my wooden wares :mrgreen:
That's what I would love to have- a place that people can rent to stay at, but then a FREE place for people to sell their handicrafts. I know that a handmade anything will cost more than a machine made equivalent, if the craftsman is going to pay him or herself even a marginal wage for the time spent making it.
Hávamál
Beornmann

Post by Beornmann »

I remember a medieval themed hotel, conference center, and camp somewhere in SE Ohio, but I believe it went out of business. Can't remember the name, but it was something like Ravensguard or Ravenswood. I'll keep looking around what happened.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Beornmann wrote:I remember a medieval themed hotel, conference center, and camp somewhere in SE Ohio, but I believe it went out of business. Can't remember the name, but it was something like Ravensguard or Ravenswood. I'll keep looking around what happened.
I think I found it when I was doing some research. Yeah- it's something like a four star hotel, but the building is stone and has a 'castle' look to it, as do the furniture, etc.

When I kept telling my wife that I want to do something 'authentic,' with no electricity, maybe a well or pump for water, etc. she thought I was crazy. After seeing me talk to several different people, she now understands that some of us want to spend a weekend or week in Middle-earth, as close as is possible, and that means very rustic amenities.
Hávamál