Metalsmith/Leathersmith/Blacksmith

Are you a craftsman, or setting setting up shop? Tell us about what you do, or offer.

Moderator: Eric C

hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Metalsmith/Leathersmith/Blacksmith

Post by hesinraca »

Hey. I'm new here, so We'll start with introduction. my name is Cedric.
I am currently finishing (june 12th) my time at the university getting a degree in metalsmithing and jewelry. I've been taking blacksmithing apprenticeships on and off for 6 years ans have a bladesmithing apprenticeship in june which should result in a journeyman's certificate in blades.
I can do jewelry/metalsmithing with copper, silver, brass, bronze, nickel, aluminum, gold, etc.
I can do my best to get my smithy set up and do iron work.
As said, bladesmithing soon.

I also know a bit about leatherworking as well as sewing, so anything from armour to tabacco pouches.

Basically, starving artist/ranger willing to try out some projects if anyone is interested.
Last edited by hesinraca on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I'm one for supporting the arts. How about a broken back saex?
Winter is coming
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

http://www.digital-eel.com/scans/images ... ex_big.gif

I'm assuming you mean one of those?
I know the chissling, chaising, repouse, acid etching, riveting, etc required to do a fairly elaborate blade, I just don't officially know the blade work. I know it in theory, but how about, when I post a notice that I completed my bladeworking apprenticeship, remind me and I will do more research into the production of such.

Maybe think of sketches and design references too, so that at very least you know exactly what you want if I can't make it for you:)

On a side note. I've always wanted either a saex or a celtic/sub-roman short sword... oye, makes me happy thinking about it.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
hesinraca

Re: Metalsmith/Leathersmith/Blacksmith

Post by hesinraca »

Oye, so I disappeared for over a year apparently. Not sure how that happened or where the time flew to, but I'm back. Between no and then a lot has happened.

I now own three forges, two coal and one gas. I will be setting up everything in a shop in bend, so hopefully I will up my smithing practice a great deal. I just finished (almost) a 6 month apprenticeship with Alan Flashing and that was super cool.

So, as a sort of pre-emptive strike before I actually get to bend, I know Eric also smiths and there is another bladesmith around her, but if anyone wants anything, I should be able to actually do it now. Otherwise, I'll post photos of gear once I ge everything assembled;)
Last edited by hesinraca on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

hesinraca wrote:Oye, so I disappeared for over a year apparently. Not sure how that happened or where the time flew to, but I'm back. Between no and then a lot has happened.

I now own three forges, two coal and one gas. I will be setting up everything in a shop in bend, so hopefully I will up my smithing practice a great deal. I just finished (almost) a 6 month apprenticeship with Alan Flashing (http://www.flashingforge.com) and that was super cool.

So, as a sort of pre-emptive strike before I actually get to bend, I know Eric also smiths and there is another bladesmith around her, but if anyone wants anything, I should be able to actually do it now. Otherwise, I'll post photos of gear once I ge everything assembled;)
Well while we're on the subject of what I want, I'd like a large camp/fighting knife.
Winter is coming
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Hah, ok, I can probably do that. we'll have to talk design and price:-P
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

Got some good photos taken, so here are some of forge work I've done. I think this accounts for about 10% of my forge projects, but hey, it's what I've got.

Last edited by hesinraca on Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

What a great set! Awesome work! 8)
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I really like the knife. The whole set is great.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

There should be three photos there, I think the other two aren't loading.

The set is stainless steel, and the customer wanted a nice medieval "formal set" that was unique but fairly basic and rough. The entire set stacks together fairly well into a leather wrap bundle, hence why the knife is a bit short, but I really like it.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com