Darkening a belt buckle

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Darkening a belt buckle

Post by Eric C »

Yesterday on my out of control shopping spree at the leather shop, I picked up two belts and buckles for my son and myself. The buckles are solid brass with I guess a chrome coating. I knew when I bought them that they would need to be darkened. I can think of at least one way to darken them that is semi-permanent. When I was in the military, there was a liquid that we used to blacken any brass that started showing through on our belts or anything that really wasn't supposed to shine. But that is a temporary fix. I am looking for something more permanent. Any ideas how to darken the belt buckles?

Or there is always the possibility of sanding off the brass with a fine grit sandpaper and letting it tarnish.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Sometimes with chrome you can take most of it off with a razor. As the chrome (during plating) adhers to the brass it forms a single layer that if you are careful can be peeled off. I did this with a huge chromed fireaxe years ago. You will still have to do some sanding but it saved me hours of work. I'm surprised they didn't have non plated ones.

The other way would be to make a chemical bath and try to deplate the buckles.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

They didn't have the style I chose in non-plated brass. I do have some FeCl that I have been saving for my first Damascus blade, whenever that happens to take shape :roll: . I wonder if the FeCl will do the job?