Sindarin

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Sindarin

Post by Dailir »

Is there anyone here who already knows Sindarin or would be interested in learning Sindarin?
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Sindarin

Post by Greg »

Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Yeah, check out that thread Greg linked, Dailir. I've been bad and allowed school to take priority over studying Sindarin, but our Sindarin thread was pretty active and beneficial last summer. I rather left Kaelln and the other enthusiasts with no one to talk to, I suppose. :/ Feel free to jump in with your translations and I expect someone will be able to collaborate with you to get the learning process going. I plan to get back into the study this summer, but it's just not very possible for me this school-year.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Actually that was the topic that sparked my renewed interest. I had noticed it was old, and didn't want to bump it back up; Which in some forums is frowned upon.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

We don't have enough current threads to have a big issue with necro'ing old threads...have at it. Just try to bring up topics if you have a valid point or question to add...necro'ing for the sake of saying "That's really cool!" is what tends to bother people. That being said, if you're not sure you want to bring up an old topic, feel free to PM the topic starter or participants with your questions!

Overall, forum etiquette is welcomed here, but you don't have to be quite as gun-shy as you may elsewhere.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Okay, sounds cool. I might as well ask this question here. In the books, Tolkiens of course, Bilbo sings a song about Earendil to the elves. In it he mentions a green stone and later when talking to Frodo he says that Aragorn thought it was important but Bilbo didn't know why. (In the conversation with Frodo Bilbo calls it a green stone but in the song, as far as I can tell, its an Emerald upon his chest) Does anyone here have any idea why?
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Dailir wrote:Okay, sounds cool. I might as well ask this question here. In the books, Tolkiens of course, Bilbo sings a song about Earendil to the elves. In it he mentions a green stone and later when talking to Frodo he says that Aragorn thought it was important but Bilbo didn't know why. (In the conversation with Frodo Bilbo calls it a green stone but in the song, as far as I can tell, its an Emerald upon his chest) Does anyone here have any idea why?
The green stone should have been the Elessar, the Elfstone, but Bilbo didn't know that. You can learn more about the Elessar from its Wikipedia article. :mrgreen: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mi ... s#Elfstone The last paragraph answers your question more fully.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Thanks! That helps, although I still wonder why it would be in a song about Earendil.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Dailir wrote:Thanks! That helps, although I still wonder why it would be in a song about Earendil.
You're welcome! Earendil bore the Elessar to Valinor, and it seems to have been a rather noteworthy possession, worthy of being in song.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Ernildhir wrote: I've been bad and allowed school to take priority over studying Sindarin, but our Sindarin thread was pretty active and beneficial last summer. I rather left Kaelln and the other enthusiasts with no one to talk to, I suppose. I plan to get back into the study this summer, but it's just not very possible for me this school-year.
Hey, I remember you saying you were going to have to concentrate on your schoolwork; totally understandable and totally cool. 8)
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I'd love to get in on it, but there is another real language that I have to learn before I can justify learning Sindarin.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Eric C wrote:I'd love to get in on it, but there is another real language that I have to learn before I can justify learning Sindarin.
ppsssshhhhh... real languages... always getting in the way. :lol:

That's cool. Which real language are you looking to learn, out of curiosity?
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Koine Greek (New Testament Greek for any who didn't catch that). I took it in college, but never used it so I'm back to square one. I think I'm going to teach it to my kids and use that as a way of relearning it myself.

My Greek prof only knew about 28 languages at the time that he taught me. He goes out on summer break or something and picks up a few more dialects. Nothing major to him. When he went before the board at UNC for his Doctorate, he completely baffled everyone there. There are some serious genes swimming in that pool or something. :shock: I'm temnpted to look him up and ask him if he's studied any of Tolkein's languages.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Eric C wrote:Koine Greek (New Testament Greek for any who didn't catch that). I took it in college, but never used it so I'm back to square one. I think I'm going to teach it to my kids and use that as a way of relearning it myself.

My Greek prof only knew about 28 languages at the time that he taught me. He goes out on summer break or something and picks up a few more dialects. Nothing major to him. When he went before the board at UNC for his Doctorate, he completely baffled everyone there. There are some serious genes swimming in that pool or something. :shock: I'm temnpted to look him up and ask him if he's studied any of Tolkein's languages.
Oooh... what a very exciting and useful language. I wish I could read the New Testament in the original Greek. You should definitely teach it to your kids and use it daily around the house. :mrgreen:

That sounds like quite a professor. Reminds me of Tolkien.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Hey Eric, I just realized that we both joined MERF at 7:02 PM. And we're both named Eric. Is it just me, or do people named Eric tend to join MERF at 7:02 PM? :shock: