New Guy

Stuff that relates to the running of the forums, and not to Ranger reenactment.
Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

New Guy

Post by Aaron »

Hello all,

I was recently invited on the SBG Forum to join here by Pete, and did so after lurking for the last two months. Very nice community you have and I recognize some of the names/faces from SBG, myArmoury and SFI.

Currently no kit, though looking through all the topics and pictures I sure as hell want to make one now...heh. I've got a hickory backed epe ELB I purchased a few years ago from Rudderbows as well as what's left of my sword collection after selling most of it off recently. A couple of odds and ends here and there clothing-wise. Eventually I think I'd like my kit to be functionally similar to Greg's.

Anyhow, enough rambling. Thanks for the invite Pete!

Aaron
Eric C
Vendor

Re: New Guy

Post by Eric C »

Greetings Aaron! Good to have you. As I'm sure you've noticed, we're pretty laid back here. We've all developed good relationships here, but not so tight that we can't let others in - we do it all the time.

Greg's kit is great! His leatherwork is really good and the horn I traded for a year or so ago is awesome. I don't know if any of us ever "finish" our kits. We always update and change things usually for the better.

Make yourself at home and enjoy your stay.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Hi Aaron and welcome!! Enjoy your stay here.

We don't bite.............. well ok, I do sometimes.. but only when provoked... or in the mood hehehe :twisted:
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Welcome!
Rhys ap Ieuan

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Hullo!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Good to have you out in the open. All that lurking had me looking over my shoulder all the time. :)
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

hello
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks everyone for the welcome! I've been lurking (and will continue to mostly do so for a bit still) so I can go through and read all the topics on questions I have. Don't want to have to ask the question if it's already been answered. Reading about kits and where to pick up certain items (most of the links are old and lead to dead sites, however), how everyone carries their gear, etc. Seems there is a wealth of information to be had on here, I'm just spending some time catching up. :)
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Welcome to the group!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Hello.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Welcome to the group
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

:blush: I'm flattered! I'm sure, having a background in blades, you most likely have a fim grasp on historical garments and the like, but for a quick look at developing a basic kit, you can hop on over to http://thewildlotr.blogspot.com for an article on basic Ranger kit to help you get started. Welcome to the group; glad you've decided to join up!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Thanks guys!
Greg wrote::blush: I'm flattered! I'm sure, having a background in blades, you most likely have a fim grasp on historical garments and the like, but for a quick look at developing a basic kit, you can hop on over to http://thewildlotr.blogspot.com for an article on basic Ranger kit to help you get started. Welcome to the group; glad you've decided to join up!
Yep, Andy's kit is also great (all the kits I've seen are great, a shame so many of the old pics are deleted). Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I've got a decent background in swords as well as bows, been fascinated by medieval and medieval-based high fantasy for pretty much as long as I can remember. My current sword (Hanwei/Tinker Fullered Bastard with new leather work by Valiant Armoury) lacks a suspension system so I likely wont be carrying it on any treks, which is a bit of a shame. My Rudderbow is my first ELB I got almost 10 years ago, #45@31", and I'm thinking I'd like to replace it with a #60@31" Osage, but we'll see. Carrying my bow in the woods will be a pain, but I think Pete has a good solution I'm likely to try.

Right now my only clothes are brown Swordsman's Shirt and Pants from Dresslikeapirate.com, and a forest green ring belt. I'll likely replace all of this as the shirt/pants are a weird fabric blend.

Aaron