Ranger's Apprentice Style Saxe Knife and Throwing Knife

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Ranger's Apprentice Style Saxe Knife and Throwing Knife

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

For my part, I'd rather even see the throwing knife be less specifically designed just for throwing, and more as a good small utility knife that can also be thrown well. This desire is informed both by my general suspicion that throwing knives in combat is usually a bad plan ("You have disarmed yourself, and armed your enemy. Congratulations.") and by not wanting to haul any amount of weight on a trek for a unitask item, if it can easily enough serve multiple purposes.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg wrote:Any blade can be thrown. Throwing knives as a rule, are simply designed with the action in mind, but any knife, fincluding my bowie-bladed 1960's ka-bar can be thrown. Blades don't have to balance in the middle to be good throwers. They'll be a little less effective if they are handle-heavy, but anything balanced from the center on out will throw nicely. The balance point only decides where it rotates, and which end will "want" to go forward...but even a lightweight, poorly balanced kitchen knife can be successfully thrown. I'd racommend not owrrying about designing the seax around throwing, but rather design the seax around function and then learn how to throw it as is.
I absolutly agree on both points, you can throw just about anything once you get the heft and rotation distance, so your second point is what I intend to do, design the seax for it's intended purpose as a utility/combat blade and learn throw it as it is.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

mcarson wrote:For my part, I'd rather even see the throwing knife be less specifically designed just for throwing, and more as a good small utility knife that can also be thrown well. This desire is informed both by my general suspicion that throwing knives in combat is usually a bad plan ("You have disarmed yourself, and armed your enemy. Congratulations.") and by not wanting to haul any amount of weight on a trek for a unitask item, if it can easily enough serve multiple purposes.
And while your point is clear and very practical if I were designing a set from scratch, I wanted to run with this project to make Flannagan's vison of the Araluen Ranger corp blade set as outlined by him in the Ranger's Apprentice books.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

One of the catch points in the plans that Ernildhir and I had was that I've never made a throwing knife. Funny because I hauled off some scrap a month or so ago and the guy that unloaded it from the truck found a really sad (in my opinion) knife blank that I was discarding. He grabbed it up turned and stuck it into the windshield of a van that sat about 20 feet away! The windshield was shattered in one spot already and that probaby contributed to the knife's sinking so well. He asked me, "Do you make throwing knives?" I said, "No."
He said, "That one threw pretty good!" What could I say? :roll:
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Eric C wrote:One of the catch points in the plans that Ernildhir and I had was that I've never made a throwing knife. Funny because I hauled off some scrap a month or so ago and the guy that unloaded it from the truck found a really sad (in my opinion) knife blank that I was discarding. He grabbed it up turned and stuck it into the windshield of a van that sat about 20 feet away! The windshield was shattered in one spot already and that probaby contributed to the knife's sinking so well. He asked me, "Do you make throwing knives?" I said, "No."
He said, "That one threw pretty good!" What could I say? :roll:
Let me know if you ever come out with any more sad knife blanks! :lol:
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I couldnt help but imagine the throwing knife looking like a small panga!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Rennuke Atrowis

Post by Rennuke Atrowis »

Don't know if anyone would be interested in it but I found a guy how could make the knifes and there sheaths, He's really good at this kind of thing here's some of his work. The pic isn't uploading of some reason so here is the URL http://tinkerswords.com/2009002saxscab1.jpg
Corrmaz

Post by Corrmaz »

Dang he's expensive and I don't think he makes throwing knives.
Rennuke Atrowis

He is a bit pricey but he might come down a little if a few of us ordered together and I think he can make throwing knifes but I'll ask him.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Tinker is a well known custom sword maker. He's one of the few full time makers and a knife takes almost as much time to make as a sword so it's not cost effective to come down in price substantially.

Pommel, grip and guard take the same amount of time as a sword's and the blade just takes a little less time to grind.

This is the reason Gus Trim doesn't make daggers any longer. They cost almost as much as a sword. If BTW you happen to stumble on one of Gus' for anything less then $350, grab it.

Should a group here decide they want something uniform yet custom to the group, have someone alter an existing production model would be the way to go. Customizied to the group, yet cost saving.
Corrmaz

Post by Corrmaz »

what we could do is take a sheet of steel and get the knife shape cut out and make it blade heavy and add the leather grip balancing it out. :wink:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

While throwing knives s/b a little less hard than a regular knife, where edge retention is the primary concern, they still need to be hardened. So just cutting out a bunch of blanks isn't all that needs to be done. They have to be ground, then hardened, polished and a grip needs to be attached.

By the time you have completed all this, you could have altered a production knife for the same or less and have the benefit of uniform hardness and their quality control.

Not saying you can't go the other way, this is just more effienct and cost effective, a major consideration when thinking quantity and price point for a large group.

If everyone wanted to do something similar yet still personalized to their own taste, find a blade pattern that is suitable and then have everyone do their own.

While not a group wide project, many of the members here have altered Cold Steel Sax/machetes to their own styles. A quick search will show several of the relevent threads.
Corrmaz

Post by Corrmaz »

I was going to buy a sheet of metal and take it to a metal worker and have him cut it out and give it an edge and harden it. :wink:
Rennuke Atrowis

It wouldn't be that hard to do that by you self you know. But what kind of steel are you using ?
Corrmaz

Post by Corrmaz »

haven't really decided that yet what would you suggest