Couple New Pieces of Kit

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Alexandros
Wayfarer

Couple New Pieces of Kit

Post by Alexandros »

I went thrift store/army navy shopping today. Came up with some cool stuff, I am trying to get some kit for my first overnight SCA event. Naturally I have to do it in MER style. My undershirt is a a woven merino wool that I will be modifying to have a tunic neckline. The green coat over it is my mass layer jerkin for winter camping, it is made out of a surplus wool trenchcoat at parts it has six layers of worsted wool in it. It also doubles as a sleeping pad, I will be finishing the edges and putting buttons on it in the next few days. With the Kukri on it is my shelter there it is a 9x12 canvas tarp rolled up with a nato wool blanket. They are cheap and very thick. Oh that's my rapier/dagger I know it isn't your guys style but I thought I would throw it in. Those are new pouches, the tan ones are surplus ammo cases, One of the compartments is full of jute haha 190ft. Thats alot of tinder, the other side of the pouch has firesteel/lighter in it. The black pouch which I have to figure how to dress so it looks less like a makeup bag, which is exactly what it is, has my two pipes, tobacco, an herbal blend designed for sleep (no, not drugs, it's essentially a chamomile tea) and appropriate pipe tools. The wool blanket and the 9x12 tarp were 20 each i donbt think I spent 20 bucks on all the rest, except that wool jerkin was expensive (50$) but there is yard after yard of wool in it. Sorry about my rambling, I kind of just vomit on the keyboard. Pictures!

Shot at 2011-08-24
Shot at 2011-08-24
Shot at 2011-08-24
Shot at 2011-08-24
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Re: Couple New Pieces of Kit

Post by Alexandros »

Here is that black bag I was talking about
And this is me
On my trip from
to
Mystic Lake, Montana. You have got to love Montana
Last edited by Alexandros on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Lovely pictures!

I suppose it probably is not appropriate to Middle-earth, but the rapier/dagger actually is my style as well. ;) Yours look really nice. Do I see some kind a of a double-scabbard setup there? I'd love to see that close-up.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

They just happen to fit into each other, I will show ya. I need to dress up the scabbard a bit too. Its plain PVC as of now. I will get a picture up close, in the mean time. Here is the Jute firepouch in action. Its pretty nice, I stuffed the whole roll in one side and started pulling from the center of the roll so it acts like a dispenser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x_UeDveE-0
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

Nothing Fancy
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

This is Everything strapped into my kit all clothes and everything, only thing missing from it is food and my pot but there is a fencing helmet in there and a propane stove that I don't normally trek with. This labor day I may have to try this equipment out. Looks like the pack has more than enough room, I will probably be wearing some of those clothes haha.

Alex
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Well, it certainly seems to be practical. It's simply the dagger wedged into a pvc pipe sheath with the rapier? Sounds good to me. I still haven't gotten around to purchasing my own rapier/dagger. I like the look of your hilts. How long is your rapier blade, and what manufacturer did you get the pair from?

Thanks for the pics, by the way. :)
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

By the way, I love that you have Scrabble in the background. Scrabble for the win!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Really great finds!
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

The swept hilt on my blade I'm not sure about. The blades were a gift, sort of. They were given to me to train with because I showed promise and our shire is trying to make a name for itself. Now, while they were given to me, I will be giving them to the next gearless fencer that shows promise. I am still saving up for my pair. The Rapier blade is a 42" Darkwood armory. I'm not sure on the dagger, it is a Darkwood too. I know the blades are really expensive but they are very nice. For your dagger I have a little tip but I will PM it too you because it is sacred and sort of loop-holey about the rules.
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

*drools* so very very pretty,
darkwood armoury makes very nice blades,
:P
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

Thank you! Yes I enjoy is immensely. Tools if the trade.
SoupRanger
Wayfarer

Post by SoupRanger »

I really like that backpack where you get it?
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

It's a Swiss army surplus pack, it's hard to see in the pic but it has an external metal frame.
appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by appalachianranger »

Ah, the beauty of thrift stores!
Lovely pieces, sir.
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon