Gear bags

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

BrianBlass
Wayfarer

Gear bags

Post by BrianBlass »

Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been on, but I've been checking out Sportsmans Guide for a functional gear bag and came across a few options that I wanted to get some opinions on. I don't think any of them are perfect as is, but I think several of them would be great bases for coming up with something very functional.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/n ... x?a=755324

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/u ... x?a=789083

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2 ... x?a=884929

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/2 ... x?a=462867

I know that similar stuff from SG has been discussed on here before, so I apologize if any of this is duplicate work.
Let me know what you think!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Gear bags

Post by Jonathan B. »

I like the look of the Italian one(second link) it looks like it could hold quite a bit and should be pretty sturdy. Not digging the first one, mainly because it's nylon and I try to stick with natural materials.
BrianBlass
Wayfarer

Post by BrianBlass »

The nylon on the Austrian bag was my initial hesitation as well. I agree, I think the Italian bag is my favorite thus far. I would probably look into replacing the straps with some leather to give it a bit more of a period look as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

At the very least, you can take the design and make one yourself if you choose. You can buy canvas cloth just about anywhere.. including Joann's, Hancock's, Tractor supply, walmart or any paint store.. as a bag it doesn't have to be a heavy weight canvas. And instead of buckles or snaps.. use cord and wood or bone or antler buttons.

You can make a bag like any of them fairly cheap really.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cinead »

If you can find one:

http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/410.html

Perfect for we rangers.....and no nylon, plastic or rubber....and a HECK of a backpack too!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I like the second one also (the Italian). I'd do like you suggested, replace the straps with leather straps. I'd also remove the side pockets and add equipment straps for sword scabbard, quiver blanket/tarp and cloak.
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Just in case it is of any help, here is my knapsack & one I converted from a second hand all cotton made in China school bag.
This was a scrip that my wife made me 20 years or so ago, but it did not carry as well as I wished. So I converted it into a knapsack with a chest strap and have used it ever since.Image
This one I picked up for $2.00 in an op-shop. I sewed the outside pocket closed, got rid of the alloy buckles, added leather straps and made 3 horn buttons for the flap closure. This was just a project to see how it worked out, and I think it worked pretty well.I don't carry a lot of gear in my knapsack, it is only small compared to modern bags, but with what I carry I can live in the wilderness for a lifetime.
Le Loup.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Here are two other types that should fit in with your persona. A snapsack and a market wallet. Both 17thC. to 18th C.

The snapsack. One strap usually worn across the chest. Opening & closure at one end only with a leather tie.
The market wallet. Can also be used as saddle bags. Access is through a slit in the centre between two pockets.
Here I am wearing/carrying them both together
This is my scrip, later called a haversack. I use this for foraging and carrying trail food.
Robert Frost.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Cinead wrote:If you can find one:

http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/410.html

Perfect for we rangers.....and no nylon, plastic or rubber....and a HECK of a backpack too!
Wow I really like this one! And this one is very nostalgic for me as it looks almost exactly like the backpack my Grandpa gave me when I became a Scout. At the time I was foolish enough to feel like it was a hand-me-down and would do until I could get my official BSA knapsack and the aluminum outer "L" frame! I had gold in my hands and a wise old man, and couldn't see their value for what was popular.

A lesson that has stayed with me for life...thanks Gramps!
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I was able to snag one of these Swiss backpacks on ebay a while back for around 30 bucks, but I had to repair some of the fastenings, and the leather wasn't in great condition. I've been able to recondition the leather to an extent. It also had this funky odor I had to fight to get rid of. Washing it multiple times, spraying it with Febreeze, nothing seemed to work. What eventually worked was to fill it with a mixture of Pine Sol and water and let it soak. It was real Pine Sol, not one of the knock-offs. The active ingredient in Pine Sol is pine oil, whereas the knock-offs just have pine scent, in other words, some artificial chemical. The pine oil also seemed to soften and condition the large leather bottom.

It really is a great backpack, and if the ones in the link are in like new condition, that's really a great deal :wink:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Le-Loup wrote:Here are two other types that should fit in with your persona. A snapsack and a market wallet. Both 17thC. to 18th C.
The market wallet. Can also be used as saddle bags. Access is through a slit in the centre between two pockets.
This is my scrip, later called a haversack. I use this for foraging and carrying trail food.
That's all fine work! Also, I've been absent for a while, so let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the list!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

kaelln wrote: I've been absent for a while, so let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the list!
And welcome back to you too Kaelin, you have been missed I hope everything is alright.

Mssr. Le Loup let me also take the time to welcome you. I had never seen your blog or youtubes but got a chance to take a look since you joined and I enjoyed them emensly, very informative!

Ringulf
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
BrianBlass
Wayfarer

Post by BrianBlass »

After posting all of those other ones, I ran across this one randomly and thought it was even better:

http://bit.ly/tUXCbn

Obviously the ID window would need to be removed, and swapping the straps for leather would still be a nice touch.
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

kaelln wrote:
Le-Loup wrote:Here are two other types that should fit in with your persona. A snapsack and a market wallet. Both 17thC. to 18th C.
That's all fine work! Also, I've been absent for a while, so let me take this opportunity to welcome you to the list!
Thank you Kaelln, much appreciated.
Le Loup.
Robert Frost.