"Three Sisters" hardtack

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Odigan
Vendor

"Three Sisters" hardtack

Post by Odigan »

So something I cooked up for the recent Indy Moot was a bastardized version of a traditional (?) native recipe involving the "three sisters" - corn, squash and beans. I've not been able to locate a first hand source for this particular concoction but used the info on this site as a starting point. Despite the author's claim that it is mentioned in Travels in the Interior of America by John Bradbury, I was unable to verify this (though I've admittedly not dug very deeply - it seems reasonable enough).

The quickie simplified version I used (described here) was to combine corn muffin mix, pumpkin pie mix and refried beans until a cookie dough-like consistency was obtained. In some batches I also added wheat flour and/or ground flax. The resulting dough was spooned out and flattend like hardtack and dehydrated. It took several hours in an oven on low heat to achieve this. They are surprisingly tasty and a great alternative to traditional flour-based hardtack.
Attachments
Yum!.jpg
Yum!.jpg (131.31 KiB) Viewed 10843 times
Last edited by Odigan on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: "Three Sisters" hardtack

Post by Peter Remling »

Sounds interesting, I'm going to have to try a modified version. Not really partial to refried beans but I'm sure I can find something to substitue.
appalachianranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by appalachianranger »

This looks eerily similar to a recipe I recently experimented with based on Confederate States sloosh...
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That is great Odigan! Good job! I am going to give it a whirl after Thanksgiving for sure! I have always thought of "Cram" as being like a real thick soda cracker or saltine, do you feel "Hard Tack" is it's equivilant or something alike, but entirely different?
(if that is not a complete oxy-moron)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Ringulf wrote:I have always thought of "Cram" as being like a real thick soda cracker or saltine, do you feel "Hard Tack" is it's equivilant or something alike, but entirely different?
(if that is not a complete oxy-moron)
When I first read The Hobbit ('round about age 12) I took cram to be conventional hardtack - same as had been issued to Army and Navy Forces throughout the 19th and early 20th C. However, I have since re-envisioned it as being closer to an ANZAC biscuit (the official issue, not the tastier civilian version). These are similar to hardtack except that they also contain desiccated coconut and golden syrup. It seems reasonable that Tolkien would have had first hand experience with such rations, and they were certainly a part of WWI culture.

Something I did change in making these was not to use the "Jiffy" brand of muffin mix, as it contains animal lard and these were to be a vegetarian option. Many people balk at the thought of putting refried beans into the mix, but I find it quite nice. It's an interesting flavour combination and they actually smell good.

Something I've been wanting to mix up for a while is the Army D-ration or Logan Bar: the WWII chocolate survival ration. It is comprised of chocolate, cocoa fat, more cocoa fat, oat flour, dry powdered skim milk, vanillin crystals, vitamin B1, and enough sugar to make it palatable. Which wasn't very much as the official requirements stated that it should taste "a little better than a boiled potato." It was for survival, not pleasure. There are instructions for a modern equivalent here (along with numerous others): http://9thdivision.com/Members_Only_Pag ... ations.htm
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I always took cram to be hardtack as it or a variation of it dates to at least the romans(Bucellatum).
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Jonathan B. wrote:I always took cram to be hardtack as it or a variation of it dates to at least the romans(Bucellatum).
Agreed, but as it is implied that cram is sufficient as a staple food source and sustaining (but not entertaining) I would imagine that it had a bit more nutritive content than flour and salt alone. The addition of ground nuts, honey, or perhaps dried berries and similar such ingredients would boost fat and sugar content along with vitamins and make for a much better all-around ration.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Very true and are bound to make it much more palatable, they would likely decrease shelf life though.