New Forums

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

What new forums should we have?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 am

LOTR Gaming
50%
Hobbit Movies
No votes
Explicit Forums for non-Dunedain cultures/ peoples
No votes
Dedicated Board for Introductions
13%
Other (please suggest in a reply)
38%

Total votes: 8
caedmon
Balku'npâ

New Forums

Post by caedmon »

Hearth-mates and Kindred of Numenor and Arnor lost,

What tales shall we tell? What exploits shall be heard round the pub-board at the Pony? Put plainly, what other forum boards would you like to see?

A special gaming board has been requested, others might be in the offing.
Vote, or suggest. Choose as many as you like, and check back, suggestions will be added to the poll.

-Jack, Proprietor/Absentee Landlord
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: New Forums

Post by Eledhwen »

On the whole I think we have things pretty well covered as is...that being said, gaming can really get rolling at times so having a forum for it is no bad thing. Additionally, we have a number of serious real-world history buffs and that perhaps would benefit from its own forum too; some of us like historical accuracy, but some of us are drawn more by the fantasy element involved in Master Tolkien's works. I, for example, love the fantasy element even while maintaining accuracy in most things...where it doesn't conflict with the spirit of the works we use as a basis. (Yes, I know Tolkien based things on historical cultures, but those cultures I leave for reenacting while this is my place to be in that magical, wonderful world of dragons, elves, dwarves, hobbits, trolls, giants, nazgul, and of course orcs and goblins.) :)

So yes, I voted for a gaming and historical type fora.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

While I am not not sure it is really necessary to add a gaming sub-forum (since the gaming threads add up to 8 of the 581 threads in the forum right now), I wouldn't oppose it either.

Historical accuracy is a goal for some people (and I am one of them to an extent), but I don't think we get enough there to make a whole forum.

We already have several forums with only limited usage...I think we could go with what we have.

EDIT: Looking over it again, maybe the Inn can become the off topic (by off topic I mean other than the rangers) discussion thread. It seems to do that already. Maybe just change the theme of the General Discussion forum.
Last edited by E.MacKermak on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

I voted for OTHER.. in that you can take all 3 of the other ideas.. and put them into the NEW forum.

OOOORRRRRRRR.. since the Inn at Bree seems to already sort of do that.. why not put a description on that forum and make IT the new forum. Never really new what the Inn forum was for .. no description for it.. Bards forum is for story telling and things of that nature.. The Inn is well.. just there hehe..
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Kiriana wrote: OOOORRRRRRRR.. since the Inn at Bree seems to already sort of do that.. why not put a description on that forum and make IT the new forum. Never really new what the Inn forum was for .. no description for it..
The original idea for the Inn was as a generic placeholder for people doing other reenactment grade Middle Earth cultures. If I recall we had a couple men from Laketown, and a hobbit or two. (and I think Ringulf & I could probably seriously geek out on the Khazad..)

That said, there's no reason we can't repurpose it.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Most of my thoughts have been covered by others already, particularly Eledhwen, in that it would be nice to have an overall distinction in fora between the "historical" and "other." It is interesting, because in the realm we play in, where does one draw the line between, say "reenactment" and LARPing?

It has also been pointed out that the Inn (which I could never figure out either) could be re-purposed and I think this would be a great place for gaming and related topics, since, well, that's the sort of thing you might do in an Inn! This, I think, would allow for the "Middle Earth Rangers" main forum to focus on "historical" reenactment, and real-world activities related to such, while the "Prancing Pony" and its subfora could be outside of that. If that makes sense.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Well, I'm new, and I haven't quite gotten the hang of every forum's subtleties just yet, but I think that would make perfect sense for the Inn. Heh, I didn't know what it was for either, so that's where I introduced myself. It seemed like the most likely place, as it didn't appear to have any other specific use stated.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I am sorry, Why must there be a line drawn at all? It seems we should have all learned by now being fairly like-minded individuals in a rather narrow cross- section of interest, that we should not be as concerned about what devides us as a group, but what unites us.

We are unified by a nucleus of middle earth and rangering. How we each choose to do that and how are interests fit together whith whom, are a point of celebration, sharing and comradery.

Cubby holes are all well and good when it comes to the "...hey where do we store this post?" kind of thing, but I kinda like the fact that it all comes in and we all either view it or not and participate as we see fit.

Count up the subjects and if something is getting too big within the "General" catagory, creat a subheading for it, as the very fact that there is buisiness on the topic suggests it is popular to enough people to make it worthwhile. Otherwise I vote we keep things open and cordial.

To seperate them for any reason other than classification for storage and searches, suggests a quality judgement as to what is right or wrong on these boards and kinda kills the meaning of the "any topic that doesn't fit anywhere else" title.

I do understand and agree with the idea of keeping some of the gaming type items in the Inn area, I am still a bit mystified at how we can truly get caught up in the "historical" ranger reinactment, based on a fantasy world using elements of vastly different temporal and cultural subjects, as being any more "real" than....I don't know...fantastical fantasy rangers, pretending to kill...orcs, goblins and trolls?

They may all look a little different, but the reality is ladies and gentlemen, we all got nerd flags, I say, "Let 'em fly high and proud!" :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

caedmon wrote:The original idea for the Inn was as a generic placeholder for people doing other reenactment grade Middle Earth cultures. If I recall we had a couple men from Laketown, and a hobbit or two. (and I think Ringulf & I could probably seriously geek out on the Khazad..)
:mrgreen:
caedmon wrote:That said, there's no reason we can't repurpose it.
:) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I always thought the Inn was the perfect place for introductions, personal announcements, Happy Birthdays, Happy Anniversaries, etc, you know, just like you would at a real Inn. I had quite forgotten about the whole "other races and cultures" thing.

Something weird has happened to the votes. The old votes appear to be gone, at least on my computer. I re-voted, but what gives?
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Ringulf wrote: I am still a bit mystified at how we can truly get caught up in the "historical" ranger reinactment, based on a fantasy world using elements of vastly different temporal and cultural subjects, as being any more "real" than....I don't know...fantastical fantasy rangers, pretending to kill...orcs, goblins and trolls?

They may all look a little different, but the reality is ladies and gentlemen, we all got nerd flags, I say, "Let 'em fly high and proud!" :mrgreen:
I'm with you on this one, brother. I'm all for learning from historical examples, and being able to use things in a real-world setting, but in the final analysis, Tolkien's Middle Earth is fantasy, and we're doing this for fun. And for the record, bro, I love you just like you are. You the man!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

kaelln wrote:Something weird has happened to the votes. The old votes appear to be gone, at least on my computer. I re-voted, but what gives?
Sorry, I added an option, and it reset all the votes. I do have the original numbers, but not who voted.
-Jack Horner

Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I'm not at all interested in LARP or MMORPGs, I have no problem with people enjoying them and respect their right to do so but they're just not for me. Our community started out with a fairly narrow goal, To plausibly reenact Tolkien's Middle Earth. Now as our membership has increased the interests of the group have grown which is good but I would rather it didn't get to the point that I have to wade through a bunch of Larp and gaming posts to get to what I consider the cool stuff like Ringulf's fire pistons or Odigan's Seax/tanto or R.D.'s scabbard among many more posts by our very talented group.The best way I can see avoiding that is a LARP/Gaming sub forum. Andy summed it up best.

Andy M wrote: "This site is for and about the “Historical” Re-creation of Tolkien’s Middle Earth and more specifically, the Rangers of the North in the Third Age; the Dunedain that remained in Eriador living as “a strange and wandering folk”. I’ve approached this much like any of the Historical Re-creation groups out there, be it French & Indian war, Viking, or 12th Century English bowmen. I take as much as I can, straight from the books (Tolkien’s words), as well as his letters.

It is fantasy, so it should be fun.

That is, fun to me, i.e. wearing functional clothing and gear and knowing how to use that gear, being in the woods, occupying a small camp site, and many more things that will be discussed here.

Tolkien created Middle Earth with more than enough “accurate History”, meaning it is chronological, accurate and cross-referenced. That makes it easy to re-create his world with some guidelines and limits. Middle Earth is founded in our history. Therefore, nothing has to be make-believe in order to enjoy it. I want to stress real-life, true "historical" re-creation/living. Meaning, your abilities are your real abilities. For example, my rate of fire with my bow is my actual rate of fire, not what it would be if I were an 86-year-old Ranger in the prime of my life who had been shooting bows for 78 years. Building ones basic skills is part of the fun. One thing that drives me is the pressure to be at a skill level that enables me to function as a Ranger.

I will never discourage other types of groups. The way I approach this is definitely not for everyone. This isn’t LARP. There are groups for that and I don’t discourage it."
Last edited by Jonathan B. on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I have to admit that gaming and Larp doesn't interest me either, which is why I voted for a separate sub-forum for it. The folks that love it would be able to talk to their hearts content, but it would remove that orange "new post" notice from forums that I do read. As it stands now, I have to click on the LOTRO posts to get the orange to go away from the General Discussion forum.

That said, however, I've been around enough "historical accuracy ONLY!" types to know that nothing is a worse buzz-kill than extremists demanding chapter-and-verse on every little thing you do. I quit the largest Druid group in the U.S. over that kind of nonsense, and I'd hate to see it get started here. There is (or should be) room for personal interpretation and aesthetics.

But I do understand and agree with Jonathan's main point. It's the idea of learning and being able to apply new skills that brought me here in the first place, and I'd like to see that continue to be the main focus of the forum.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

After reading Jonathan's post and Kaelin's response, I sat down and did some thinking (I do this from time to time just to ask myself as a third party, "Well Scott, how do you feel, what do you think?") This helps me because sometimes I go off half cocked on an issue fired by mixed feelings and emotions.

I came to the conlusion that personally, I like Larp, I like MMOs and I like FRPs of many varieties. They all have their place and in my mind, one helps me fuel the creativity of the others. But that is not really the issue here.

I really love what you folks do! I enjoy thuroughly the people, the topics and the subject of the forum.
Johnathan and Odigan, among others, make a good point, in that they are trying to focuss on a very challenging, fairly narrow path. A path that seems to have been chosen by the creator of the forum, if I am not mistaken.

I think that this is exciting and very admirable. I am inspired by it and I am going to personally strive toward making it a part of what I do.

More importantly what I do here.

Out of respect for those who feel the way that the forums creator did, I think perhaps we do need some cubby holes so that if folks don't want to dabble in other areas, they are not forced to do so. I would not wish to make my brother stumble from there purpose, or impede their path.

I am still going to pretty much be a "Khazad among the Dunadain" If that is acceptable. I feel in my mind's eye, like that is where I belong.

I hope my persona and story will be able to serve The Faithful and allow me to live among them. If they can accept me into their culture and thus share my culture too, I see a unique opportunity to broaden the scope without changing the focus of the MERF.

In the future I will endeavor to submit the topics that do not fall into this area in whatever subcatagories you all decide are appropriate.

I am here to learn and experience what was here when I arrived. I hope that I can in some way add to that, but that needs to be done with care, humility and respect.

Please feel free to smack me in the knob when that does not occur! (we "Khazad" are somewhat hard headed :mrgreen: )