History of the Middle Earth Ranger Forum

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

History of the Middle Earth Ranger Forum

Post by caedmon »

In looking to the future and contemplating new Forum boards, I began to wonder how much new members know about how the history of this forum and the group's original intent. This Forum was started as a new kind of way at looking Tolkien fandom/enthusiasm, especially in reference to the Dunedain. Recent developments make me think that the base is widening, and as long as this does not affect the general feel of the board I don't see any problem with that.

This thread is for compiling a general history and vision statement for the group. I'll start it off, but please help me continue it. The final product will be a permanent sticky for new members and reference.

(* Also, please realize I don't consider myself the owner of this board, I started it so that this group would have a home when our original board went down. The regular contributors here are the owners, and should make the big decisions.*)
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: History of the Middle Earth Ranger Forum

Post by Manveruon »

This sounds like a really fascinating idea! And I, for one, am very interested in learning more about the boards' origins, and the general purpose of the group as a whole.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

It's a wonderfull idea, actually. I do miss Andy's origonal site though, alass, time does move forward i guess.
I am excited to see what the future holds for our forum. :D :D :D
Actually it was andy's page that tuned me onto the fact that yeas there were others out there who enjoyed Master Tolkien's work as much as i do. and were into reenacting as it were middle earth. it seems like only yesterday, i was copying his cloak pattern and studying a couple surpluss army blankets thinkin yeah lets do this. :( deoressed and nostalgic suddenly.
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

I remember when Andy was first posting about the idea of Middle Earth reenactment on SFI.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I guess I can fill in a few of the blanks.

Andy M started a Middle Earth Forum designed around the idea of taking the world of Tolkien and his rangers and enacting the lifestyle. Andy and at least one of his friends' would attire themselves as Rangers and camp out in the woods useing only items and techniques that would be found in a Middle earth society.

Andy invited people to join through the use of a post in SFI (Sword Forum International). SFI is a site many of us are still members of and a very good starting point for people interested in swords (of all eras) and how they were cared for and used.

A group of people interested in traditional/primitive skills, the outdoors, Europeon living history or Tolkien joined up and for about a year, contributed to discussions on a variety of topics.

Andy is in the military and his job calls for a good deal of travel/deployment and I believe with his job, travel and family it took a necessary backseat.

The site went down several times and eventually was shut down.

Jack and a few others were very interested in continueing the discussions so Jack started this site. It was originally on another server and it didn't have all the bells and whistles it does now.

Okay what did I forget and who wants to continue ? :)
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Actually, I think you got the gist of it Peter.

I miss Andy's site still.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

In looking back at my post, I realize it appears a little bland so I'm going to see if I can bring a little personality to my post.

The reason I came first to Andy's site and subsequently here was I was a avid reader in my youth. I used to read about 300-400 books a year up until I hit my mid thirties. When I about 8, I started to read a lot of scifi and a little fantasy. I'd pick up books at flea markets and garage sales while my parents perused the "treasures". At the time you could get a used paperback for about a nickel. I'd also read my brothers used books and hit the library regularly.

Burroughs, Howard, Carter, Moorcock, Doc Smith, Asimov all were stacked in corners of my room. I'd find a "new" author and I'd go find and read everything they published. Soon I had piles of books that I couldn't go through fast enough. Around thirteen I read somewhere a brief discription on speed reading. Through trial and error, I figured it out and it was at this time my reading increased to 300-400 books a year.

When scifi was unavailable I'd pick up mysteries, historic pieces and fantasys all revolving around the idea of an individual striving against a host of adversaries and nature to survive and save the world or at least his girlfriend.

I particularly enjoyed the hero reduced to a flight through the jungle armed with his wits and a knife chasing the enemy and encountering wild animals or races intent on his demise.

All the facets of those stories reside in Middle Earth. The rangers are the symbolic heros armed with tradition, good steel and right on their side. The historic skills needed to survive in a bygone era.

And we are there !
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I remember when I was 11 years old drooling over Andy's site. Later on, when I was 13, found this forum separately (I think I was reading up on maille making) and then made the connection. It was then that I joined...

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
SoupRanger
Wayfarer

Post by SoupRanger »

I was curious on how you guys started as well.
appalachianranger

Post by appalachianranger »

I feel like we need a scroll and a feather quill, as well as a guy in a cap and gown... Can't wait to learn more about where this wonderful forum came from!
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend." -King Solomon
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I remember discussing the original site over on SFI before it became a reality. Man does time ever fly.
Winter is coming
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Yeah I know what you mean, I remember very clearly Andy's posts over there.
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

I wasn't around in the begining and have no memories of Andy, but I agree with caedmon that a vision statement for the forum is important. For myself being a fan of Tolkien and his vision lead me to many other books, hobbies and games, but it all goes back to Tolkien's works. It is great to branch out, but we must remember our roots.

Reminds me of what a teacher told me once...."before one drinks from a stream, he should consider it's source."
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.