Hood Pattern

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Hood Pattern

Post by Manveruon »

Haradir expressed interest over in my intro thread about the hood or mantle I'm wearing in a couple pictures, so I thought I'd go ahead and throw up a topic about it. Truly, this is just about the easiest thing a person can possibly make. Second in simplicity, perhaps, only to a semi-circular cloak. Especially if your hood is unlined, which mine is. However, it would be very easy to line one as well, and rather striking visually if you were to do so in a contrasting color.

Anyway, I based mine on several illustrations of period designs, as well as extant examples from the Middle Ages, but then I took some artistic liberties with it. Most medieval hoods, for example, have gussets sewn into them (similar to the common "Viking tunic"), but I didn't want this, so I left them out, and made the pattern for the mantle a bit wider so as to accommodate for the missing panels. I also wanted the cape to be less round along the bottom and more pointed and angular, which was somewhat inspired by the shape of the Ithilien Rangers' leather gorget (or whatever it was) on the LotR movie costumes. In order to achieve this shape I simply designed the cape part to come to squarish points instead of rounding out the bottom line.

One other thing I did was to re-shape the hood from the standard square piece. I wanted it to hang down the back a bit, like the Fellowship Cloak hoods for example, but I didn't want a ridiculously long liripipe either, so I just angled the back point out a bit more and called it good. This worked pretty well in the end. I also made the hood much deeper than suggested, because I didn't want it to fit as closely around my face as many period examples do when wearing it up. In the end, I think I made it a bit too deep, and I'd probably adjust that on my next go-round.

Then after sewing the rest up, at the center bottom of the cape, where it comes to a point, I cut a short slit in the cape, just a few inches long. This was mostly just a bit of artistic flair based on the hood worn by Russel Crowe in the new Robin Hood film, but also gives you a bit more room to move your arms. I left the bottom edge of the cape and this short cut unhemmed and then blanket-stitched them instead, but you could just as easily hem them. Also, the hood would be perfectly functional without the shoulder split.

The pattern below is basically just a slap-together job I just created in MS Paint, and the dimensions probably aren't all perfect. You will almost certainly need to adjust some of it to fit your personal shape, size, preferences, etc. For instance, I'm not sure, with the split where it is on this picture, if it would line up with the top of the shoulder. I definitely recommend making a mock-up first to test it.

Also, when I originally created this pattern I intended to simply cut it out as one big piece, but as it turned out, I didn't have enough fabric, so I ended up having to cut the pattern in two, and make the mantle out of 3 different pieces (with the top of the hood itself being placed on the fold). Either way will work, depending on how much fabric you have.

And I think that's pretty much it! I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Hood Pattern

Post by Manveruon »

Oh, and I just realized that the picture SHOULD read "Cut two, OR cut on the fold." Whoops!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Nice stuff Manveruon, It looks so cool. Would this be at all practical out of leather?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

First , yes nice job on the design and exceution.

Dirhael wrote:Nice stuff Manveruon, It looks so cool. Would this be at all practical out of leather?
Leather works fine, it just hangs a little differently depending on the thickness. Here are a few pics of some leather ones useing a very similar pattern to Manveruon's:

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure531.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure532.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure528.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn46 ... ure530.jpg
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yep, what Peter said! And by the way, that leather hood in your pictures looks awesome! Must get kinda' heavy though, I'd imagine.

Another good example of a leather hood is the one Russel Crowe wears in the Ridley Scott Robin Hood film:

http://cdn0.hark.com/images/000/038/107 ... original.0

http://edgeoftheframe.files.wordpress.c ... cott_1.jpg

http://www.filmofilia.com/wp-content/up ... age_02.jpg

http://edgeoftheframe.files.wordpress.c ... -stuff.jpg
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

My thanks to you, Manveruon! I really appreciate this. I'm going to make a few tweaks of my own, mainly by losing the hood. (I'm going to have a cloak instead.)
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, no problem!

I'd love to see pictures when it's done, as well as those of anyone else who ends up using this pattern!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I think I may have to whip up one of these...but I'm not sure who will end up using it. I may have to make one for myself for summer trekking...we'll see. Nicely done.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I am working on a few of these now. I wanted to do something with a bolt of light green micro-suede I found as a remnant on sale. I also found a large amount of another inexpensive material that I thought interestind and that would go great as a reversable lining.

See what you think, these are the two materials together:

The micro=suede in the picture looks rather grey it is actually a rather subdued logan green.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The links you put up of Russel Crow's show a seam down the center of each shoulder. I wonder if this will affect the way it hangs or if it is more in the cut.
I like the way his hangs in the front and back. That nice semi circular edge, that might need the weight of the suede to achieve properly.

I was also looking at some older Holywood costuming that I found and elswere in more reliable sources, and admired the dagged and crenalated edges. The crenalated normally was used to indicate one in authority or pertaining to the guard of a castle. I enjoyed the way the Hildabrants did it with Faramir in this picture.

Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's a good point, and I suppose you could seam it down the shoulders as well. I decided not to simply because it would be more work, and it didn't seem necessary for my purposes. But I'm sure that's the origin of the split over the shoulders. I just put them there, artificially, because I thought they looked good, and because I figured it'd give me some more arm movement. Ultimately though, I don't think it did much in that regard.

As to shape, one of the reasons I made this one so angular is because I find I don't often like how semi-circular ones lay. Just sort of a personal preference really. But yeah, the dagged and crenalated ones always have caught my eye as well. I especially like the "oak leaf" dagging on a lot of period examples. Seems it'd be a lot of work, but it may pay off in the end if that's the look you want. And I usually go earlier period, before dagging of that intricacy became popular.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OOh do you have any visual examples of the oak leaf type? I would love to see that, it might be very appropriate for The Ranger's apprentice stuff!
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thankyou Manveruon,

I am going to get in touch with this young lady and perhaps have her make this in brown with green trim and I will have it embroidered as the Tournement champions prize for the Moot!

Unless there may be other talented seamstresses on this site that fell they might want to give it a shot (much rather go in house :wink: )
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Manveruon wrote:But yeah, the dagged and crenalated ones always have caught my eye as well. I especially like the "oak leaf" dagging on a lot of period examples. Seems it'd be a lot of work, but it may pay off in the end if that's the look you want. And I usually go earlier period, before dagging of that intricacy became popular.
Just a note, in period (14th century) most hoods were made from well fulled wool. Fulled wool, is woven wool that is Felted on the outside (think the wool on a nice dress overcoat today). It does not fray, and dagging was simply cut into the fabric. An easy and cheap mod, which is why it became popular. It didn't take sewing skill to accomplish, and looks rather cool.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017