Comments on Patterns/Instructions for Ranger Kits

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Comments on Patterns/Instructions for Ranger Kits

Post by caedmon »

Finally patterns. To me; most LOTR clothing, except those of Elves, Hobbits, and Breelanders fit early medieval models. Hobbits and Breelanders clothes fit 18th c. clothing models. Elves are problematic and I will hold back on characterizing their clothes.

Tolkien gives few clues to Dunedain clothing save dark woodsy colors, the use of hooded cloaks, star brooches, pants, and boots. We have added as standard the use of short swords, preferably a seax. This is actually a lot. Most people infer a mix of Northern (18th c. style) and Southernly (early medieval) for the Dunedain. A complete ranger trek kit should include but not be limited to the following clothes from the inside out:

linen drawers
linen undertunic
wool socks
wool pants
wool tunic
leather belt
hooded wool cloak

Over the next several weeks I'll post patterns and instructions for as many of these as I can. I will start with a hooded cloak, and a couple variant tunics as they are what make the biggest impression.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Budget Authenticity: Patterns/Instructions for Ranger Ki

Post by Kiriana »

Well sorry but WOOL pants, socks and tunics are OUT for me.. they will be LINEN.. like it or not

Some of us have allergic issues with MODERN PROCESSED WOOL

And unless YOU want to buy me bolts of unprocessed wool to use (which will cost a FORTUNE) I suggest this "must have list" be altered where it states FABRIC

Linen by the way WAS USED ALOT as over garments IN PERIOD because not everyone could get wool.. especially the lower classes.. they layered LINEN.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

I appologize for the "TONE" of my post.

But your post pretty much sets "limits" as to what could be used.. and I get a lil miffed when people don't realize not everyone can either WEAR or AFFORD things like wool.

Now if you are just using those as "EXAMPLES" of fabric then fine.

But again.. as Erich said.. it's about the journey, NOT the destination.. we BUILD OUR KITS and change them as we go. So it's going to remain a Journey.

So again I do appologize for my tone. I just get pissy when, to ME, it looks like someone is telling me I HAVE to use this or that... when really.. I don't.

*prolly the damn hot flashes getting to my brain*
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Kiriana,

I thought it was implicit from my previous posts, but let me make it explicit.

The founder of our group, Andy M. inspired us with a vision of reenactment grade interpretation of Tolkien. And that vision has been reaffirmed in the last few weeks. However, this forum is not a society or a guild. There are no dues or bar to participation. Just because I maintain the forum software does not make my opinions hold more weight than anyone else.

I hold myself to a high standard of historical accuracy, because I am a freak. I do not hold others to my standard, because as I stated elsewhere, the costume I started with was atrocious, and had I been slammed early on, I would never have stuck with it. I am unapologetic about what my views are, they are based on my best understanding of actual practice in history and extrapolation from Tolkien. Am I wrong? Often. Do I change when I am wrong, all the time.
-Jack Horner

Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Kiriana wrote:Well sorry but WOOL pants, socks and tunics are OUT for me.. they will be LINEN.. like it or not

Some of us have allergic issues with MODERN PROCESSED WOOL

And unless YOU want to buy me bolts of unprocessed wool to use (which will cost a FORTUNE) I suggest this "must have list" be altered where it states FABRIC

Linen by the way WAS USED ALOT as over garments IN PERIOD because not everyone could get wool.. especially the lower classes.. they layered LINEN.
Kiriana,

I understand what you are saying, my wife has eczema and cannot wear processed wool either. I do have it on good authority that wool can be hand washed to remove sizing, additives and other irritants without ruining the finish of the wool. I have not, however, screwed up the personal courage to test this on my wife.

All but the most stringent groups consider linen as a perfectly acceptable alternative to wool. However I want to make clear the difference between historical use, and accepted substitute.

My specialty is Britain and Ireland between 400-800a.d. and 1160-1390a.d., and I know of no historic examples where anyone, the very poor included, did not have access to wool. I would be happy to see concrete contra-examples. I do know that linen is explicitly listed as outerwear for Templars while on duty in the Middle East, but this is the only example I know of. The problems with dying linen with period methods would seem to limit color choice.

(I should point out the one contra-example that I know of to my argument. Linen is underrepresented in the British archeological record due to the problems of preservation in wet climes.)
-Jack Horner

Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Washing processed wool has NEVER helped my skin reactions ... And I have held freshly sheared wool in my hands before and no reactions..

I know your opinions are yours.. and I respect that. I guess I will have to re-research the info for linen for you hehe. We have done ALOT of it being in the SCA and trying to get our kits right for that.

Oh and my sca personna is mid period Irish.. and I can tell you for sure that yes, they did use wool for outter garments and linen for under.. but they also used linen for outter as well. It depended on the region and time of year when they wore wool or linen for outter garments.

Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Again I do appologize for my "TONE" with my reply.. I have been very moody lately and having those wonderful hot flashes.. so my emotions take over a bit.

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ooh I hate it when that happens....no really! :oops:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

All very good points. My own take when it comes to historical costuming, and really costuming in general, is that I have my own personal standards, while others have theirs. I hold myself to a higher standard than many, and a lower standard than others, but I think it's important for everyone to find their own comfort zone in this regard. For me, this has resulted in an ongoing process wherein I find myself drifting further towards strict period-accuracy. Though I am still far from strict in many regards.

It's interesting, too, the levels of "accuracy" that are required for each individual group. I belong to several, and have witnessed this first hand. For instance, many in the Jack Sparrow costuming community have some very strict costume standards and guidelines of their own that would simply be laughable to historical Pirate reenactors, and vice versa.

In this community, because there is an element of fantasy as well as history, many of the lines may become blurred, it seems. Which, for me, is part of the fun of it all. It allows for artistic creativity that strict historical costuming may not.

At any rate, my own Ranger kit is probably going to be based largely on early 13th Century clothing, as that is an era I have a personal interest in. But once again, I will definitely take some liberties with it. Nevertheless, I would love it if anyone out there could perhaps share some good patterns for chausses and braies, as I would like to eventually move to wearing these instead of the awful re-purposed knit cotton exercise pants I am currently using, heh. For Ranger stuff I may end up wanting proper trousers or joined hose, but it would also be cool to have some really authentic period 12th/13th Century legwear.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I'm changing the name of this post. I was not trying to start controversy with it, but rather attempting to provide a place to give basic patterns and instructions for making Ranger kits. I am making it like the stitch thread, with a post thread and a comment thread. Each post will be a discrete a pattern and instructions for a specific piece of clothing, and it is not just locked to me, anyone can/should contribute.
-Jack Horner

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Comments on Patterns/Instructions for Ranger Kits

Post by Manveruon »

Sounds good to me :)

Seriously though, I'd be super interested in any patterns or instructions folks out there might have for Chausses. Just sayin, heh...
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Manveruon wrote:Sounds good to me :)

Seriously though, I'd be super interested in any patterns or instructions folks out there might have for Chausses. Just sayin, heh...
I have made chausses for my 14th c. impression. I don't really consider them appropriate for Middle Earth but I'll post instructions for them when I'm done with the tunic. You looking for mid thigh, full leg, or split hose (practically trousers)?
-Jack Horner

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Well, I think I'd prefer them taller, so the split hose would be cool, but lower ones are more accurate to the period I'm going for, which is early 13th Century.

I was also thinking of looking into some "Viking" style trousers, since honestly I think I'd prefer to wear a complete garment instead of two reeeeaaaaly tall socks, at least when doing Ranger stuff, heh. But I like the historical validity of Chausses.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Manveruon wrote:Well, I think I'd prefer them taller, so the split hose would be cool, but lower ones are more accurate to the period I'm going for, which is early 13th Century.

I was also thinking of looking into some "Viking" style trousers, since honestly I think I'd prefer to wear a complete garment instead of two reeeeaaaaly tall socks, at least when doing Ranger stuff, heh. But I like the historical validity of Chausses.
Viking style trousers are something I am going to cover. Skjoldheim trousers and boots are great for a ranger, switch winningas and shoes for boots and you have instant Rohirrim.

I'll do a post on chausses and split hose in the off topic forum.
-Jack Horner

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Awesome! Thanks!