Combination scabbard/quivers

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Combination scabbard/quivers

Post by Mirimaran »

http://www.atarn.org/subject_index.htm

Some tutorials on making eastern quivers and the like. Enjoy!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Eledhwen wrote:The Scythians, I think, had sword sheaths integral to arrow quivers on occasion, although their swords were rather short and they did not, so far as I know, use back quivers. Still, integral sword sheath and arrow quivers are not entirely unknown. I should probably hunt up the source for that so you folks can have a gander for yourselves.
Antony Karasulas mentions this in Mounted archers of the Steppe 600 BC-AD 1300, though he references a depiction of a Parthian, who has an "...all-in-one bow and arrow quiver (called a gorytos by the Greeks) typical of the Scythian peoples to this time. This example has a built in dagger sheath."
Attachments
British Museum, London (WA 1972-2-29,1 /135684) Photo by Chris Hopkins
British Museum, London (WA 1972-2-29,1 /135684) Photo by Chris Hopkins
Parthian_archer_Hopkins.jpg (172.16 KiB) Viewed 4690 times
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Bow and arrow quivers as one piece entities were common with the Central Asian and 'Near Eastern' peoples...Scythians, Sarmatians, Achaemenid and Sassanian Persians, and so on.

Less common were sword quivers combined..and I suspect more often they were either worn on the same side or strapped together rather than being one single piece. The Scythians had the akinakes, a kind of longknife-shortsword which was most often lashed to the thigh...or so it seems.

I'll have a turn through my source materials this weekend, see what I turn up.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!