Some Fyne Fast Shooting

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Some Fyne Fast Shooting

Post by deadextra »

On the topic of mounted knock points, at least Gamling could have used one.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

From what I understand, that's how Welsh short-bow archers fired - from the chest. Seems a bit difficult to aim correctly though.
And on a side note, it's interesting to watch the archery of different characters in those films. Aragorn's form is pretty abysmal. For a ranger, and someone who presumably has to use the bow rather often, if for no other reason than hunting game, this seems unfortunate. But I suspect they're all shodding-up their archery technique to make Blondie-Locks look even better by comparison, heh.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

There are a lot of congectural points about where the knock point should be for what type of bow and what type of shooting, but accuracy has more to do with repeditive actions creating muscle memory and familiarizing the mind to produce factual eye hand coordination, in other words, its not so much what you do but how much you do to achieve acuracy in the wichery of archery!
:wink:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

Yeah, I wasn't getting at any of that. The CG arrow is coming out of his finger. >.>
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Rofl! what a bunch of windbags we are! instead of seeing the comical, we start to pontificate! That is actually hilarious, good eye! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha... wow... yeah, what Ringulf said!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Ringulf wrote:...but you do not get to aim over the shaft using the front and back of the arrow as "sights" to the target. Instead one must focuss on the target and go by intuitive aiming. Which was more my point.
I've never met anyone who shot from a corner-of-the-mouth anchor that used the front and the back of the arrow as sights...even in gap shooting, the arrow is not on-target, but rather offset and lined up based on where the arm naturally points, much as instinctive shooting. What exactly do you mean by using the front and back as sights? When I'm drawn to the corner of my mouth, I have no awareness of the back of the arrow, so I'm not sure what you mean. 'Splain, por favor?
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I believe he's talking about, what I call point awareness. You are not consiously aligning the point to your target, but you are aware of where it's pointing as it's in your line of sight. As to the nock and the back of the shaft, even though you can't see it you are aware of it's alignment because your muscle memory.

With shooting from the chest the arrow is aligned completely out our normal reference points. For the person who becomes practiced in this style it will become the norm and other styles will be ackward.

I think the issue is the varying terms we are all useing to explain the same thing.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I think you are right Pete, and to be more accurate Greg, when I site in, as I was taught, for acuracy target shooting, I use the front of the arrow as the "Front sight" and not the knock of the arrow for the back, but if you draw to the corner of the mouth, then normally the string can be used as your rear site for lateral aiming. Then you need to be intuitive about distance (horizontal aiming) or have a set of sights for different distances which as rangers most of us do not use. There is a bit of an offset if the string does not conveiniently cut your line of vision. But I guess I have a fat face and it works well for me.

I find for normal shooting, my intuitive aiming is little improved by this technique now that I have been practicing more frequently, but it is the way I was taught by an Olympic archer when I was a teen.
She was very good even in her late sixties when she taught me, She was one of the people who interested me in the use of the bow by the Vikings or more correctly, "The Norse" (Viking is actually a verb like Hiking or Biking, hee hee) As she was a Dane and did reinactments too. :mrgreen: