Practical seax combat sword ????

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Willrett
Thangailhir

Practical seax combat sword ????

Post by Willrett »

Well that's what they call it http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/produ ... Sword.html

I like it except for the point, so my question is how hard would it be to improve the blade?
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Practical seax combat sword ????

Post by deadextra »

What do you mean by improve?

The issue I see with it right off is that the grip is formed of scales. Do my knowledge scales weren't really used for most of a millennium after the heyday of the seax, and then not in they way shown here. I know of a 15th century baselard with scales, but then the upper and lower guard were part of the same piece of steel as the blade. Here, the guard and pommel seem to be fitted or welded in place where a properly peened tang would lock the whole assembly together. This and the small rivets used to fix the scales make me think that you would have issues with the scales loosening up and maybe the guard as well. This issue makes me question the quality of less obvious aspects of the product.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I beleive Will is asking about putting a serviceable edge on the blade.

Will: as this is a reenacting weapon the blade is a little softer than optimum. You can still easily convert it to an edged weapon, but it will not hold an edge as well as a blade specifically designed for use.

The easiest way to put an edge on it, is to draw your new profile onto the blade with a marker. Then grind the blade to meet your lines with a grinder or bench sander. The bench sander gives you cleaner controlled lines and is easier to use. If you don't have access to either, files will work but be slower.

Once you have the profile completed, you would then useing finer files, start on the edge. My reccommendation would be to keep the edge at a modest angle for chopping and camp chores. It will be less likely to chip and be easier to resharpen.

Lastly yes it will be useable and relatively easy conversion. You can also put a leather wrap over the grip to conceal the non historic aspects mentioned by deadextra.

Personally I thin k it will be a better camp chore than most of the Cold Steel machete conversion because the blade is so much thicker.

Good Project, have fun and as always.....Pictures.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

There are better practical seax on the market. Check Kult of Athena or Get Dressed for Battle (though GDFB is a British company).
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

the last of the pics show a black wrapped grip that I like. I guess I can pick up another cold steel sax and strip it and buy a cross guard and pommel.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Get them while they last folks I stockpiled a good deal of both sizes when I saw them being dicontinued, I think we need to start a petition and send it to cold steel.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I sent them a email asking if they would/could be released without the black coating and maybe a wood or leather grip but have not heard anything yet.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well it would be great to get them with no coating or handle, that would make life a lot easier for me!

However at the moment I am just hoping they are still going to produce them at all.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: