Reclaiming the Blade

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Reclaiming the Blade

Post by Andy M »

Hey All,

Reclaiming the Blade is available now on DVD. It seems to have “morphed” since they did the filming at Paul’s forge. Probably necessary for sales, but, LOTR actors talking about swords in my opinion has nothing to do with real swords. I’ve ordered the DVD’s. Some of the stills from their website show the brown handled medallion blade that Paul and I worked on as a Ranger blade. I have that sword now and will post more on it in a bit.

Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

The DVD may need actors to sell copies and entice the general public.
I think the way Mortensen bought into the character is admirable.
i.e. always wearing his sword, sleeping in the stables
IMO he became Aragorn.

Wow! :shock: :D :D
PJ & WETA were wrong.
THIS is a Ranger's blade.
subdued, dark, and worn.
What a legacy Paul leaves.
What an heirloom to remember him by.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

http://galatiafilms.com/store/reclaimin ... ition.html

I was waiting to read a review, but will most likely order anyway.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

You're right Beornmann. Vigo did a great job. After watching all the appendices, you see how much thought and effort the entire crew put into the movies and into Middle Earth.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

For those interested in purchasing this, a little tip from a thrifty soul...

The cost for this title on the Galatia Films site: $27.95 + tax + shipping = (depending on location) ~ $36

Cost on Amazon.com: $29.49 with Free shipping = $29.49

You can save a few bucks if you are willing to wait until May 5th for it to ship (what's a few more days after all this time...?)

And... if you want to wait until July 7th there are a number of other sites listing the 2 disc set for around $20-24 with shipping. You can probably also order locally through a Borders/B&N or other book/music store and eliminate shipping costs altogether.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Odigan wrote:For those interested in purchasing this, a little tip from a thrifty soul...

The cost for this title on the Galatia Films site: $27.95 + tax + shipping = (depending on location) ~ $36

Cost on Amazon.com: $29.49 with Free shipping = $29.49

You can save a few bucks if you are willing to wait until May 5th for it to ship (what's a few more days after all this time...?)

And... if you want to wait until July 7th there are a number of other sites listing the 2 disc set for around $20-24 with shipping. You can probably also order locally through a Borders/B&N or other book/music store and eliminate shipping costs altogether.
I'm generally a thrifty soul (ok, cheap). The set on Amazon is a 1 disc, the set from Galatia is a deluxe 2 disc. I'm not sure of the added material, you'll have to decide if it's worth it to you.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Peter Remling wrote:I'm generally a thrifty soul (ok, cheap). The set on Amazon is a 1 disc, the set from Galatia is a deluxe 2 disc. I'm not sure of the added material, you'll have to decide if it's worth it to you.
The two disc set on Amazon is $29.49

# Format: Color, DVD-Video, NTSC
# Language: English
# Number of discs:2
# Rating: NR (Not Rated)
# Studio: Rivercoastfilms Distribution
# DVD Release Date: May 5, 2009
# Run Time: 78 minutes

The single disc is $17.99
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I already orderd the 2 disc from Galatia. I do a quickie review when I get it.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I rec'd my copy today. Just a quickie review.

Pros:

The dvd addresses many of the erronous stereotypes of sword lore. The way they present the information is well suited for the individual who takes offense at someone contradicting them because it simply states the facts without labeling the stereotypes as myths so the individual doesn't get defensive and keeps an open mind.

The individuals in the Reclaiming the Blade dvd (disc 1) are all knowledgeable indviduals and I recognizied almost everyone including the combatants used in the fight sequences. Aside from those you'd expect you'll recognise a good many from SFI and Arma sites.

They portrayed the relearning of these sword arts with a great deal of respect and explained how the knowledge was gleaned from fight books although the books were only lightly referenced.

Much of the extras on the 2nd disc were excellent ( a chapter for sword typography and a good few oncombat demos ) with one major exception, the chapter on the NY Lightsaber group, I thought was counter productive to the main theme of the film and only took away from the serious educational aspect.

Cons:

The movie wasn't long enough and didn't cover certain aspects completely.
Specifically: sword forging (Paul's segment could have been a good deal longer and cover more of the creating of a sword in the traditional way) more along the lines of the segment he did for Axes, Knives and Swords.

Some of the interviews could have been edited better and one of the demo chapters on the 2nd disc which had John Clements explaining some moves had absolutely terrible acoustics.

Verdict:

Definately pick up a copy. I can easily see this film become the driving force in the increasement of people joining the ranks of the sword practitioner as it utilizes movie personalities to hook the attention of the novices in the audience.

Another good thing that will probably come of this is that due to "Records of the Medieval Sword" being referenced and an entire chapter of the 2nd disc being devoted to it, I believe that it will be a very short time before you see this great book back in print.
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Excellent review Peter. I haven't watched the second disc yet.

I may be able to get the raw footage of the filming at Paul's.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I'm gonna have to place an order shortly!

Is there ANYONE who still makes blades like Paul did? Sometime SOON, I'm planning on starting up with a blacksmith up in Nor Cal for some training, but someday, I want to hunt down someone like Paul and do some serious studying.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

My copy arrived today. I'll settle in to watch tonight.

Siani
Nandalad!
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I enjoyed this immensely. :) Quite good with only a niggle here and there really...already mentioned by others.

Siani
Nandalad!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Reclaiming the Blade

Post by Peter Remling »

For Any of You interested in buying a copy there is a online couon good for this weekend only:

http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/1724 ... 16639488f/

save yourselves a couple of bucks
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Reclaiming the Blade

Post by Greg »

To add to that, RTB hits stores on the 7th!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.