Brewing

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

kaelln

Re: Brewing

Post by kaelln »

Not to be a stickler or a stick in the mud, but do we know that the "corn" Tolkien was referencing was American maize? Corn is a European word that means "grain", and before the Americas were discovered referred to things like wheat and barley, as in the song "John Barleycorn".
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Quite true, and that's a very good point.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Ringulf wrote:Wow that is cool and makes a lot of sense. Do you keep ebooks stored on the computer or in a reading device like a kindle or something? if it is kept in the computer it would be a very good case for me downloading certain books I enjoy refrencing. Pardon my technological ignorence but some of the is just never really occurs to me unless it is pointed out. How would I get an ebook if I were to keep it in my computer?
I have them on my computer as I only use them for reference (I have a strong dislike for using nook/kindle type devises to read books.). I downloaded them here and there and I use microsoft reader to use them.
kaelln wrote:Not to be a stickler or a stick in the mud, but do we know that the "corn" Tolkien was referencing was American maize? Corn is a European word that means "grain", and before the Americas were discovered referred to things like wheat and barley, as in the song "John Barleycorn".
I agree hence the last line of my post.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Jonathan B. wrote:
kaelln wrote:Not to be a stickler or a stick in the mud, but do we know that the "corn" Tolkien was referencing was American maize? Corn is a European word that means "grain", and before the Americas were discovered referred to things like wheat and barley, as in the song "John Barleycorn".
I agree hence the last line of my post.
Good point. I didn't read it as closely as I should have.