Concensus Wanted

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Concensus Wanted

Post by Peter Remling »

First let me say this is not posted because of anything anyone here has said or done. I'm merely asking because the question has arisen on other sites and lead to some issues and hard feelings.

Occasionally one of us finds a sharp and pointy on another site or forum and references it here.

While sales on a web site are acceptable by everyone, sometimes referencing an auction can raise some bad mojo. For instance you spend 1 hour a day searching Ebay and you find a sword that is listed as say a Windlass but is actually a older Del Tin. You're planning on bidding and another member announces that he found that sword, references the auction and tells everyone that it's a Del Tin and while he isn't bidding, it would be a good investment.

This would increase the number of potential bidders and the final bid price. It also can create some bad feeling between those who invested the time to search and were originally planning on bidding and those who were posting it here as a informative post.

What is the consensus, should we continue the practice of just posting the item here or should we have anyone looking for a particular item place their request in the Wanted Subforum and if we find it, then pm them.

Looking to avoid potential problems.

Your imput is requested.

Thanks, Pete
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Concensus Wanted

Post by Peter Remling »

Part of the reason I ask the above is that I just found two pieces of interest to members here and would either like to reference them to the general forum or at least pm those individuals who have expressed a desire for these items over the past several years.

Yes, they are both blades.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Using myarmoury.com as an example, I'd say it's alright to do. Nathan has let that ebay finds thread run for years with no trouble. The one thing he does insist on is that nobody openly bad mouths a seller on his forum. If you have a problem with a certain seller take it to and keep it in the PM's. I also don't have a problem with people listing sales from other sites as well. There's so much spill over between the three major sites and this one at this point that you can be sure at least 1/4 of our membership has seen the classifieds ad being referenced. IN short, I'm cool with it, and I've been outbid once or twice because of it. All's fair in love in war.
Winter is coming
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Peter Remling wrote:Part of the reason I ask the above is that I just found two pieces of interest to members here and would either like to reference them to the general forum or at least pm those individuals who have expressed a desire for these items over the past several years.

Yes, they are both blades.
Now I'm going to go scour ebay. My curiosity always gets the best of me.
Winter is coming
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I would say to continue the practice. I always looked at it as the sharing of knowledge. I've helped folks myself a time or two to let them know what they have found is something more valuable than they realize. I would say if there is a piece that comes up that you'd want for yourself, then I'd bid ASAP, knowing how small the field is and how many of us there are who scour Ebay and the like.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Beornmann
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Beornmann »

I'm fine with it, even if I did have a conflicting bid war, which has never happened, something would come along later.
Near is the hour when the Lost should come forth, And the Grey Company ride from the North.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thank you Gentlemen!

I going to start a thread for Ebay and other finds.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I agree since most of us search ebay anyway.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"