What's your preffered method of fighting for Rangers?

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

What's your preffered method of fighting for Rangers?

Post by caedmon »

I know we covered this on the other list, but I figure it's still a good one to talk about.

My feeling is bow is the primary weapon, followed by spear, then sword. I am trying to learn i.33, so I'd probably try to fit that in...
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Chris Russo
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Chris Russo »

I feel mostly the same way as you (maybe spear, bow, sword instead of bow, spear, sword--but close enough).

For sword arts I've been learning Lichtenauer, and am loving it, though I think (as said many times here) that longsword has more martial than sylvan applications for a Ranger. I rarely bring my longsword to the woods, just my spear and belt axe.

Since a lot of the Rangers on this board were leaning toward a sword around the size of a basilard/gladius/large seax, I'm curious to find out which style they'd use for a shorter blade like that.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I don't have the dimensions yet, but the new Atrim/Fletcher/Valiant Arms model The Bristol looks like a good choice. It looks to be a relatively short stout longsword with a decent thrusting point. Anxious to see how it turns out.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Chris Russo wrote:

Since a lot of the Rangers on this board were leaning toward a sword around the size of a basilard/gladius/large seax, I'm curious to find out which style they'd use for a shorter blade like that.
In my opinion for single sword I'd go with George Silver. Even though you'd be moving very far period wise from I:33 I believe from experience with both that it's better suited to this style of fighting. Stephan Hand has a great interpretation of Silver in his book "English Swordsmanship: The True Fight of George Silver"

(http://www.amazon.com/English-Swordsman ... 175&sr=1-3)

As for taking a Longsword in the woods I offer this advice. First for the sake of mobility I carry my Longsword strapped to my Backpack ala Peter Remling (SP?) On my belt is a single hand axe and a scramaseax at my back. I use both as camp tools and quick defense weapons. And as far as space restrictions are concerned, practice in a closed space and you'll see that the techniques for Longsword can be modified for close quarters, and this is from experience. Not only is the Sallie I train in narrow, but I practice in an apartment so I'm very "Wall Conscience".
Winter is coming
Panday
Wanderer

Post by Panday »

"The world is grown so bad, that wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch."
-Shakespeare, Richard III
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

For a VERY similar style check out The Last of the Mohicans with Danial Day Lewis. It was done a good few years earlier. I have both films and have never checked it out but I believe both scenes were probably choreograpghed by the same person.

Handaxes or in this particular case tomahawks, are more useful in the woods and were chosen over the sword as a weapon/tool of chose of Rodger's Rangers.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Peter Remling wrote:For a VERY similar style check out The Last of the Mohicans with Danial Day Lewis. It was done a good few years earlier. I have both films and have never checked it out but I believe both scenes were probably choreograpghed by the same person.

Handaxes or in this particular case tomahawks, are more useful in the woods and were chosen over the sword as a weapon/tool of chose of Rodger's Rangers.
I was gonna suggest early american or english boarding knife/axe and bowie/tomahawk myself. Beat me to the punch you did there guys. Anyway here's a link to a book about it.

http://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1095
Winter is coming
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Axe and knife is a great combo, I think, because both are also wilderness tools. I prefer things that have multiple uses, even with weapons (like bows/spears being for hunting or fishing as well as for combat).
Hereward the Wake
Dúnadan

Post by Hereward the Wake »

Weapon choice fighthing style wiuld be largely dictated by whom you were expecting to be fighting against. In this case orks, men, trolls etc..
Your ork is going to have some kind of bladed weapon, spear bow etc.

I wouldn't want to turn up to a sword/spear fight with a hatchet and knife.

Obviously if only scouting and not planning on engaging then one would travel light, and would if push came to shove, set up a hasty ambush, use your bows and break contact inthe confusion and try to make a break for it.

I would suggest that Rogers rangers used the hawk and knife because they were effective tools that had a secondry role as weapons, but mainly because the main weapon was a firearm, as there main form was to engage from some range and use superior tactics and ambush to get the upper hand.

I would perhaps favour a sword sax, with a longer than normal blade but still under 3 foot. and a large buckler
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

I am going to have to agree with everything previous with a slightly alternate addition:

I think in my personal choice, long sword, short and board, and bow are the three primaries. Sources of styles would be english and italian long sword, briton long bows or turkish horsebows, and viking sword and board.

On the other hand, having mastery of those primaries being crucial, having an understanding of dagger, axe, spear, scimitar, katana, kukri, throwing weapons, etc wouldnt be a bad call, because a good ranger is adept at using what he can to his advantage and that could be anything.

As far as non-weapon supplements, I am a huge fan of Shaolin Kung Fu because it very very powerful when used correctly.

A good addition to weapon or non weapon fighting however would be AIkido. Granted the philosophy is manipulation to avoid harm and promote peace, but at the same time the energy manipulation and flow of aikido can enhance anyone's sword work, unarmed combat, and general dexterity when moving in hostile situations.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

Well you know when you start to get deeper in to WMA you realize it's really a complete martial art on it's own. offering not only sword training but hand to hand and a host of other weapons as well. Also something common in all the systems was unarmed defense against an armed opponent. Not to discourage taking an eastern art (I studied Okinawan Gojo-Ryu for all of my teenage years) Yet if your interests only extend to WMA you'll find a host of techniques that would apply to our world today.

I've also been wondering if the possibility was there for the 15th and 16th century European masters to have had some slight influence from the east? In my brief stint with Iaido the wards were similar to the Western wards, even in their uses. Maybe there's only so many ways to swing a sword? I'll have to dig a little deeper. (Sorry for the off topic thought)
Winter is coming
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I look at it like this. If I'm only scouting in a "safe" area then I'd most likely only go with an axe and long knife. Longer treks where contact was a possibility would require I at least carry my longsword attached to my pack and kept it at a make shift base of operations for excursions. If I know I'd be engaging then I'd have to carry it at my side.
Last edited by mcapanelli on Wed May 14, 2008 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming
Andy M
Dunedain Chieftain

Post by Andy M »

Hey All,

Like Hereward said, you tailor your kit for the job. A Ranger can always wander around with either a bow, a spear, and/or an axe and not look like he's headed off on an Orc raiding party. All three of these weapons are generally effective against unarmored as well as maille and leather armor. Tolkien was very fond of axes as well as swords and even more so sword and shield. He was also a soldier who understood being in the field.
Obviously though when he got to the third age he didn't have Rangers prowling around with shields.

If I was sitting around a border of the Shire when the threat level was really low I may just have my bow, a medium sized axe and a knife or two, but on the Greenway looking to intercept spies or brigands I might want a sword knowing I would probably close with the enemy.

The fun part is you can collect and train with a variety of weapons. The wife loves it when I tell her I need yet another edged weapon.

Andy
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

In general, composite bow, longknife and tomahawk...standoff and use of agility and speed work for me here.

Augmented with sword and/or spear at need, but really I prefer the above combination on the whole, as long as we're talking preferences.
Nandalad!