My saxe sheath

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

My saxe sheath

Post by Nemo of Calh »

I bought a saxe a couple of months ago. I figure a saxe with a tomahawk is the perfect combo for a Ranger; both can function as weapons and tools and they have just enough overlap in their functions to work well together but not be redundant. I fell in love with the weight, balance and size of this saxe, as well as the appearance of the handle and blade, as soon as I picked it up. It's a custom, one-of-a-kind piece. The only thing I didn't like was the pommel, but the smith and his jeweler friend were so cooperative, I made a deal where I could buy the saxe immediately, then, for no extra money, the jeweler would make a custom pommel for me. When the pommel is done, I can take the saxe to the smith and he'll switch the pommels for me. The thing's going to be beautiful when it's done, so I made an equally beautiful sheath for it.

In character, the knife is Eya'Tal, the Forest Knife, that Nemo found. It gives him a link with the Forest Goddess Eya and allows him to control the growth of plants. The golden runes (my own invention, not Tolkien in nature, obviously) spell out Eya'Tal, and the symbol in the center is that of Eya.

This is the third pouch sheath I've made and the only one that actually grips the knife the way it's supposed to. I can hold the sheath upside-down and the saxe doesn't fall out, but it's not at all difficult to draw.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: My saxe sheath

Post by RangerKellen »

Very well done Nemo! I love it! Who/ where did you buy from?
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Nemo of Calh
Dúnadan

Post by Nemo of Calh »

Little John the Blacksmith's House of Steel. He had a stand at Dagorhir's big LARP event this year that he shared with Crafty Celts, the people who are making my pommel.
"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Oh okay thanks!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Crafty Celts' work is beautiful, I have a couple of there bear peices and love them! You could not find a finer jewler to do your pummle truly! :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Beautiful!
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.