Catastrophic Failure

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Avery P.
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Catastrophic Failure

Post by Avery P. »

Just like the title says. I did the heat treat on the Harbinger Axe. There was a part of the edge that was a bit thin, but I thought it would be okay. It wasn't.

Being thinner there, it just got overhardened. This is the first failure I've had since my first couple attempts. But wait, there's more.

See, I was fairly confident the blade was good, so I went ahead and mounted it on the handle. The handle I had spent nearly as much time on as the axe. I wedge fit it and used epoxy. Then I tested it which is when the failure happened. In a rush, I set the head in a vise to drive the handle out before the epoxy completely grabbed. I used my drfit the push the handle out, that made the wedge drive past where I had slit with a saw, resulting in a small crack.
Also, once the handle let loose, since I was in a rush, my wrist went down in the tip of the axe.

Looks pretty small doesn't it? Well, so is bacteria. That little cut resulted in a bruised bone and an infection that led to a hospital visit and a round of antibiotics. When I woke up the next morning, it was deep red, swollen and the beginnings of streaking was showing.

Long story short, this week has sucked.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Catastrophic Failure

Post by Peter Remling »

Glad you're okay now !
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Brother, I know your pain!
I have days like that from time to time and up to a few years ago I used to say "No dammit I won't let you beat me!" and worked till I either exhausted myself or the catastrophic failure came.

If my Dad were still here I know he would come up behind me and say "Son your like a monkey humpin a football...furious activity, no penetration!"

That phrase and its accompanying mental image is now usually enough to convince me that when things are going in that direction it is time to conceed to the Murphy demon and go get a tall one.

I just left the shop to come in and see this, were I burned out two drill bits punching two simple pin holes on a knife handle, I don't know first one was fine second one two bits!??

I now am writing to you...with a tall one. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Ringulf on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Avery, that's just nasty! Sorry about the failure of the axe. That, in itself is disheartening, but then to add insult to injury, you're, well, injured rather severely. Hope you get well soon. Take care of that little cut. They have great potential to become very big problems.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

@ Pete - thanks man. It's healing up fine. The doc gave me a prescription for Keflex. My first though, oddly enough, was "hey that's the stuff Roland took in "the Drawing of the Three"....yeah, I'm a big Dark Tower reader, lol.
Ringulf wrote:Brother, I know your pain!
I have days like that from time to time and up to a few years ago I used to say "No dammit I won't let you beat me!" and worked till I either exhausted myself or the catastrophic failure came.

If my Dad were still here I know he would come up behind me and say "Son your like a monkey humpin a football...furious activity, no penetration!"

That phrase and its accompanying mental image is now usually enough to convince me that when things are going in that direction it is time to conceed to the Murphy demon and go get a tall one.

I just left the shop to come in and see this, were I burned out two drill bits punching two simple pin holes on a knife handle, I don't know first one was fine second one two bits!??

I now am writing to you...with a tall one. :mrgreen:
Oh believe me, there were many a tall one to be had the night this all went down. The ole "Monkey/Football" analogy, lol. I use that quite often while working. I am lucky to still have my dad around and his response to it was "were you born stupid or did it come on you all sudden like?". He and I work together often and have that relationship were it's more than father and son. I have always said that if I grow up to be half the man my father is now, I will be doing pretty damned good.

Eric C wrote:Avery, that's just nasty! Sorry about the failure of the axe. That, in itself is disheartening, but then to add insult to injury, you're, well, injured rather severely. Hope you get well soon. Take care of that little cut. They have great potential to become very big problems.
Thanks Eric. Luckily, the antibiotics and my immune system are doing their respective jobs. I'm more pissed about the axe. I haven't had a failure like that in more than two years. I know why, in retrospect, but I should've tested the axe with a temp handle first. I just never needed to before so I got secure and sloppy. This peice may end up as an offering to Volundr for my foolish ego and arrogance.
- W. Shakespeare
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

sorry about the axe and your injuries
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Hope you get better!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Thanks again for the well wishes. Infection is gone and I and doing great now.
- W. Shakespeare
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Good to hear!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Ouch... that wasn't your beautiful shillelagh-handled axe project, was it? :/ What an unfortunate development. Glad to hear your infection/wound is okay now, though.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Ernildir wrote:Ouch... that wasn't your beautiful shillelagh-handled axe project, was it? :/ What an unfortunate development. Glad to hear your infection/wound is okay now, though.

Yeah, that's the one. Added to which, I cracked the handle driving it out. Not a bad crack, less than an inch, but still. When I drove the handle out, I drove the wedge down into the grain, past where I slit it with a hand saw. I will salvage this some how, but at the moment I realize I need to step back and take a breather from this particular axe.
Though,......I've already re-named this. It will not be called the "Harbinger" anymore. If I pull it off, it'll be a Phoenix.
- W. Shakespeare
Fallsofdragon
Dúnadan

Post by Fallsofdragon »

Brother Avery, bummer dude!
Sure glad it wasn't a whole lot worse, which it could have been
and happy to hear the bacteria has been defeated, that stuff
is bad news,
I was up in the cold buck mountains for a stay, took a 4 point late evening
and in the dark reached up in thoracic to cut windpipe, my knife was
so sharp I didn't realize that I almost cut my left thumb off, well we just
bled together there and I tried to clean it up at ranger camp, well no
good, it went bad, took six weeks to heal, still got my thumb and a
reminder scar
anyways, thumbs up to your recovery and renewal of spirit of steel
take care Bro,
Paul
Image The Queen of Light took her bow and then she turned to go
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom and walked the night alone
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh my gosh!! I am sorry that your axe failed.. but even worse your injury!

I am glad you are doing better!
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
robinhoodsghost

Post by robinhoodsghost »

Glad you are on the mend, Ranger Avery.
Thanks for sharing your mishap, it will keep the rest of us mindful.
In the darkest part of Sherwoods glade, in the thickest part of the wood, there are those who say, can still be seen, the ghost of Robin Hood.