A Shortcut to Mushrooms

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

A Shortcut to Mushrooms

Post by Greg »

Anyone go mushroom hunting throughout the year? I hit up some morels last April, but didn't have a chance to do so in Kit. Jake and I are discussing kitting up as hobbits and hunting some down next spring. I missed the summer Chantrelle season here in Indiana, but managed to snag a pic with some fall Chantrelles (which look similar but are NOT edible) in gear. Chicken of the woods, a log-mounted fungus similar to turkey tail fungus is prevalent in the area and edible, but their season has passed as well. Anyone have any good recipes for wild mushrooms?

Chicken of the Woods, which grows on dead or rotting wood and is plentiful in the Eastern through Midwestern U.S.A., is an easy to spot and easy to cook dish. You can just fry them up in a pinch, or if you're a well-provisioned hobbit, saute them in butter and salt.
Trick is, make sure it looks like that photo. The similarly orange mushrooms in the photo that includes me grow out of the ground NEAR stumps, but have a stem and will give you a nasty case of 6-8 hour food poisoning.

Readyyy....DISCUSS!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Re: A Shortcut to Mushrooms

Post by Ernildir »

Those look absolutely nomlicious. I want to eat some.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I love hunting and eating mushrooms but didn't get to go out much this year maybe ill get some pics in the spring.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Frothgar
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Frothgar »

Be INCREDIBLY careful about Wild Mushrooms. do plenty of research. and have an exit strategy. i dont want to mourn anyone.

Frothgar

PS. sorry for the dire tone, but this is serious business.
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
herbcraft
Wanderer

Post by herbcraft »

I've collected hen of the woods (Grifola frondosa) and chicken of the woods (Laetiporus sulphureus) for eating this fall; it hasn't been a great year - the summer was just so dry. I also use turkey tails (Trametes vulgaris) when making soup broth; they're incredible medicinals, but too tough to eat. So, adding them when making stock gets the goods in the broth.

Certainly, identification of wild plants and mushrooms requires 1000% positive ID; for mushrooms, mushroomexpert.com is a great source of info. Also, a couple field guides.
jim mcdonald
~herbalist~
www.herbcraft.org
mcapanelli
Haeropada

Post by mcapanelli »

I've always shied away from Mushrooms. Too many edible ones look too close to deadly ones for my liking. I'd guess that with more experience it'd be safer to identify the safe ones but it's not easy to get it living in a city.
Winter is coming