Repairing a Splintered Bow-Back

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Manveruon
Thangailhir

Repairing a Splintered Bow-Back

Post by Manveruon »

Hey folks! Need some quick advice on something that happened last week and has me quite a bit concerned.

While I was at archery practice last week, I noticed a thin splinter, about a centimeter wide, and very flat, separating from the back of my longbow. The bow itself is hickory-backed-hickory, and has a somewhat square-ish cross-section, as seen in my pics with it here:
http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... &start=165

You can see the damage to the bow in these pictures:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 1357854427
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 1357854421
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 1357854420
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 1357854410

I immediately stopped shooting with it and put it away, and I am now in the process of seeking a new bow. However, Gondian mentioned to me that the splinter might be repaired, so I've been looking into that possibility as well. At first I didn't want to touch it, as I no next to nothing about bowyery, and I didn't want to make things worse. Now though, I've read a few posts on various archery forums around the web, and I'm starting to think I might be able to repair the bow, and bring it back to a shootable state, at least until I can secure myself a new one. Mainly, I'm wondering what all of your thoughts are on the matter, and if anyone has ever done something like this.

What I have read seems to suggest using some heavy-duty glue to hold down and secure the splinter, then to wrap some sort of thread tightly around the spot, covering and saturating this with glue as well, then allowing all to try before using the bow again. I've read that silk, linen, cotton, and synthetic threads all work for the purpose, and I've seen some pictures of people using artificial sinew, serving thread, and plain cotton. I personally have some waxed linen thread that I think would work well, but what I have read advises against using anything waxed, as the glue might not hold. I also have some silk thread that might work, but it's very, VERY fine. Currently, I have a ton of Loctite superglue on hand, so I was considering using that.

Does this method sound like a good one to you guys? Has anyone here done this before? Would anyone recommend a different strategy? Any and all input is greatly valued. Thanks!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Repairing a Splintered Bow-Back

Post by Peter Remling »

The line and expoxy wrap sounds somewhat viable. I was going to suggest a fiberglass patch over the crack and do a cord or leather wrap over that.

I'd still start looking for another bow and keep this one for costuming. I've had a wood bow shatter on me, fortunately no one was hurt by the many large flying splinters.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I have unfortunately managed to break 3 bows while using them (not including this one), and several more while stress-testing them for the gentleman who employed me last season at the ren faire, so I know how scary it can be. It does seem that there are others out there who have completed repairs of this kind successfully on wooden longbows, so I'd like to give it a try. Meanwhile, I am definitely searching for a replacement.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Okay, so I went ahead and proceeded with the repair technique I saw being most widely recommended online: gluing the splinter down, then gluing a patch over the top (either leather, fabric, paper, etc), and finally wrapping it all with twine of some sort and saturating that with glue. I used Barge contact cement to apply a small leather patch, and then used waxed linen thread to wrap it all (despite the warning against using waxed thread, I thought this was the best thing I had available, and the superglue does seem to be dried and holding well). I did the same to both limbs as evenly as I could, so as to not have one be significantly stiffer than the other in the end.

Here are some quick pics snapped with my phone:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 1358064860

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 1358064806

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e173/ ... 1358064774

Anyway, that's done, and hopefully the bow will continue to function. I haven't tested it yet, and I'm concerned that it will fail nonetheless (the tiller on the splintered limb does appear to be just noticeably more pronounced than that of the non-splintered limb, which has me a little worried), but we'll see what happens.
Last edited by Manveruon on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Repair looks nice and clean, hopefully it will hold. Let us know your results because you won't be the only one with a cracked bow, eventually one of us will too.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Definitely. I've got an archery practice coming up tomorrow, so I'll try it out then. Cross your fingers, knock on wood (bow wood?) and say a little prayer that she holds.
kaelln
Wayfarer

Post by kaelln »

It's a good looking job. Looks like it was designed that way. Got my fingers crossed for you.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Thanks a bunch. Meantime, I've been talking to Gondian about crafting a new English longbow for me, and I'm very, veeeeery excited about it! :mrgreen:
I just hope this one holds together until that one gets here, heh.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Weeeeelllll, it was a grand experiment, but I'm afraid it failed.

So last night was archery practice, and I brought my newly-repaired longbow out with me to give it a shot. The first time I drew it I gave folks a wide berth, just in case the worst should have happened, but as luck would have it, she held together just fine. This heartened me somewhat, so I continued to shoot, participating in our SCA baronial tournament, and shooting rather well, altogether.

After the tournament was over I continued to shoot, as it was only just 8:00 and the range didn't close until 9. It was then that I drew back my bow and immediately heard/felt what I'm absolutely certain was a "warning crack." I immediately unstrung the bow and have not re-strung it since. Seems she's finally out of commission for good. Shame that.

I was really pleased when my repair held together, and I did get a good hour and a half of shooting out of it, but in the end it looks like the damage was too critical. Luckily the bow did not snap in half, or explode, etc. But I know that feeling well enough now to realize the game was over.

Oh well, it was worth a try. I know the maker (I worked for him last year at the local ren faire) and he'll absolutely replace the bow for me, but after now having significant issues with 3 of his bows, and knowing of at least one other person who had her's break, I think I'll be holding onto the one he sends me strictly as a costume/back-up bow. In the meantime, I'm really excited about the new piece Gondian is making for me, so keep an eye out for updates on that. I'll be happy to post my own review of it once it arrives (though probably not as detailed as Greg's).
Last edited by Manveruon on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Thanks for the update and glad no one was harmed.
RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by RangerKellen »

Good to hear she held for the tournament and very glad no one got hurt!
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien