Medieval Taylor's Assistant: Making Common Garments

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Worldwalker
Wayfarer

Medieval Taylor's Assistant: Making Common Garments

Post by Worldwalker »

Here is the link to the PDF of a book entitled "Medieval Taylor's Assistant: Making Common Garments 1200-1500." I was searching for a pattern for a gugel-style hood when I found a reference to this book. I did a google search, and found that the PDF was available online. It has a lot of pictures, illustrations, and instructions on how to make historically accurate clothes of many types from that period. I have always thought that Tolkien had set his works in a 13th-14th century setting, so some of the earlier period patterns and styles covered in the book are probably ranger appropriate. I hope you all enjoy it.

If only I could get my wife to help me on some of these projects...

http://www.tavoladismeraldo.it/TAVOLA%2 ... istant.pdf
Tall ships and tall kings
Three times three,
What brought they from the foundered land
Over the flowing sea?
Seven stars and seven stones
And one white tree.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Medieval Taylor's Assistant: Making Common Garments

Post by Manveruon »

That looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Downloaded, and dove in. Awesome resource. Even my wife's excited about this one...
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Thanks for the great resource.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Worldwalker
Wayfarer

Post by Worldwalker »

Straelbora wrote:Thanks for the great resource.
No problem. Of all people, I knew the rangers of middle earth would probably appreciate this book the most. :)
Last edited by Worldwalker on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three times three,
Over the flowing sea?
And one white tree.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you for sharing this wealth of information! I will certainly be trying one of the undershirts for my next project. Those mittens also look very interesting, though I don't think I have a suitable material that would allow them to perform as well as they should. The instructions seem to suggest using a sheepskin that has fur on one side?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

Ernildir wrote:Thank you for sharing this wealth of information! I will certainly be trying one of the undershirts for my next project. Those mittens also look very interesting, though I don't think I have a suitable material that would allow them to perform as well as they should. The instructions seem to suggest using a sheepskin that has fur on one side?
I have a friend from Western Australia who was studying in Toronto. After her first year in Canada, she was visiting me in Michigan and we went to the Renaissance Festival. Someone was selling sheepskin mittens. I told her that if she bought them, she would never have cold hands, even in Toronto winters. After five more years in Toronto, she said that in fact her hands were never cold while wearing them.

I'm thinking of having someone knit me some wool mittens and making deer hide overmittens for them. Although I might just try making sheepskin ones.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I wonder if there are any good online sources of sheepskin.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Worldwalker
Wayfarer

Post by Worldwalker »

Ernildir wrote:I wonder if there are any good online sources of sheepskin.
Tandy Leather has them. Hope this helps.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-u ... 66-01.aspx
Three times three,
Over the flowing sea?
And one white tree.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

My local in-town leather shop has sheepskin with the wool still on for pretty dirt cheap prices. Eric, if you find yourself with a color in mind (white, cream, brown, grey, etc.), I'll be San Diego in two weeks for my sister's wedding, and could send a hide for you home with my dad that you could arrange a pick-up for, my treat. I'd hate to see you pay a bunch when I can get you a small one with enough material for your gloves for less than ten bucks.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:My local in-town leather shop has sheepskin with the wool still on for pretty dirt cheap prices. Eric, if you find yourself with a color in mind (white, cream, brown, grey, etc.), I'll be San Diego in two weeks for my sister's wedding, and could send a hide for you home with my dad that you could arrange a pick-up for, my treat. I'd hate to see you pay a bunch when I can get you a small one with enough material for your gloves for less than ten bucks.
You are too kind, Greg! :mrgreen: That would be perfect. Dark grey is my favorite.

Thank you so much!