canvas / cowboy style bedrolls

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Arathen123
Wayfarer

canvas / cowboy style bedrolls

Post by Arathen123 »

well i have been doing a bit of browsing and looking at horse stuff (like saddle bags) and i found some pretty cool canvas bed rolls for attatching them to your horse. as my mumhas just aquiered a horse i thought i shout get some period things for it.but all the cowboy style bedrolls i have seen are very pricy and so i was wondering if anyone here has any patterns or ideas on how to make one.plus and cheep canvas suppliers. cheers :)
I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.
Arathen123
Wayfarer

Re: canvas / cowboy style bedrolls

Post by Arathen123 »

also if any one has a bed roll please post some pictures?
I made a promise, Mr Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to.
man_of_tanith
Dúnadan

Post by man_of_tanith »

A bedroll is effectively a canvas sheet folded in half and sewn so only one end is open,
should be reasonably easy to knock one up i would of thought.
you can get very creative and add a bit to hang over head and a layer to add insulation material

canvas can be a swine to sew by hand, maybe a good sewing machine is worth investigating.

i use a Czech army surplus bedroll sometimes. it works well with an extra blanket in it but i have no photos sorry
Only the Wilderness is Pure Truth
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

For a cheap supply of canvas, buy a canvas painters dropcloth. They come in a variety of sizes, but a 9x12' is more than adequate. I folded it in appxly 1/3s, stitched at the bottom edge to the first complete foldover. This left me a tube-like canvas with a flap. The tube area you can fill with a blanket or leaves/grasses and this will insulate you from the ground. Another blanket could be wrapped or lain over the individual and the third section or flap is then draped over the individual.

This will leave the 2/3s tube-like section under the person, then a blanket or not depending on temperature and the 3rd section over the blanket/individual. Another thing about dropcloths is they are generally treated to be water resistant already. If you're a stickler for authantisity, you'll have to wash the canvas several times to remove the treatment and then applied a more period treatment.

There is a least one pic of mine somewhere on the forum. I'm off to work so I'll have to find it this evening when I return.
BrianGrubbs
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by BrianGrubbs »

Peter Remling wrote:For a cheap supply of canvas, buy a canvas painters dropcloth. They come in a variety of sizes, but a 9x12' is more than adequate. I folded it in appxly 1/3s, stitched at the bottom edge to the first complete foldover. This left me a tube-like canvas with a flap. The tube area you can fill with a blanket or leaves/grasses and this will insulate you from the ground. Another blanket could be wrapped or lain over the individual and the third section or flap is then draped over the individual.

This will leave the 2/3s tube-like section under the person, then a blanket or not depending on temperature and the 3rd section over the blanket/individual. Another thing about dropcloths is they are generally treated to be water resistant already. If you're a stickler for authantisity, you'll have to wash the canvas several times to remove the treatment and then applied a more period treatment.

There is a least one pic of mine somewhere on the forum. I'm off to work so I'll have to find it this evening when I return.
Here's the thread. It's a great thread in general, and the pictures Peter's talking about on on the first page.
http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... it=bedroll

Brian
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

Peter Remling wrote:For a cheap supply of canvas, buy a canvas painters dropcloth. They come in a variety of sizes, but a 9x12' is more than adequate. I folded it in appxly 1/3s, stitched at the bottom edge to the first complete foldover. This left me a tube-like canvas with a flap. The tube area you can fill with a blanket or leaves/grasses and this will insulate you from the ground. Another blanket could be wrapped or lain over the individual and the third section or flap is then draped over the individual.

Be very picky when looking at those drop cloths. I have bought some that were very fine canvas with a tight weave, and I have bought others that still leaked like a sieve even after hot washing, drying and painting.
You can't take the sky from me.
Arathen123
Wayfarer

Post by Arathen123 »

brillianr cheers every one. i have heard about these dropcloths before they sound gpod are they cheaper than a canvas tarp?? where can you get good quality ones? i have come up with a cool design i will post some pictures up soon when i am free.i used a fleec sort of matirial to mqke the mockup it works well but canvas would be preferable. i have also designed a good tent design using a normal plastic tarp. i know plastic is mot period but if these drop cloths are good i will invest in a good one for tge tent as well.i will post puctures soon.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Tarp or dropcloth, either will work fine. Tarps, in most cases, will have grommeted edges, which will make conversion to a tent/shelter easier. You can just cover the metal grommets with a strip of leather folded over and stitched on.

Look for a heavy weight and if you get it in a natural color, you can dye or paint it once the water resistant treatment is washed out.
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

http://www.chicagocanvas.com/canvas-tar ... comp439437

This place has some really good prices on finished canvas tarps, although 16oz. is a little heavy to carry on your back. These are perfect for static camps, like a base camp that you hike out of or SCA type camping.
You can't take the sky from me.